NAT server as a router?

Unanswered Question
Mar 11th, 2009
User Badges:

Greetings everyone!

I have the following issue: I want to configure a computer to act as a NAT server for a small network i have (about 30 machines). I need some of them to connect to Internet. I have been searching info about NAT and i read that this protocol has routing capabilities, is that true? If not i guess i should get a router which is the obvious choice but i also want to test some algorithms i've been working on (that's a whole other issue) and i wanned to do it in a router because they are Active Queue Management algorithms. Anyways, does a NaT server handles queue management also?

I think it doesnt but im not really sure, that's why i ask :P

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Wed, 03/11/2009 - 12:45
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Jose

NAT is not really a protocol as such and it doesn't have any inbuilt routing functionality. If you can configure a computer as a NAT server which i haven't heard of, whether or not it can route i would say is independent of NAT. Certainly a computer with 2 NICS in it can be told to route between the 2.

If you want a device that routes/NAT/queue management (presumably QOS) then that device would generally be a router. But there are router emulators such as Dynamips which would run on a PC.

Jon

Actions

This Discussion