cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP for remote Disaster Recovery Site

agrayson
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a core site COL and a Disaster Recovery Site called OP. We are currently running eBGP with 2 ISPs from our Core COL site. I am looking for suggestions to extend this to the DR site in case we loose our Core COL site connection or gear. It was suggested to do iGBP inside. The DR OP site has a stand alone internet connection. We are connected internal to a ATM cloud using EIGRP. I have a visio but no option to attach it?????

3 Replies 3

agrayson
Level 1
Level 1

adding visio

If you lose your main Data Center, what are you hoping BGP will do for you??

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Alonzo,

>> We are connected internal to a ATM cloud using EIGRP

so when the main site fails is possible to reach via EIGRP the DR site ?

if so the DR site can still use the two main connections to internet.

if when main site is down EIGRP domain is partitioned and DR site cannot be reached internally I don't know if BGP can help.

However, the best way to use the third internet connection of the DR site is probably the use of BGP conditional advertising:

the DR site should start to advertise the server farm's public ip addresses only when the same advertisement is stopped on main site.

This is to avoid that someone on the internet can try to access DR site also when the main site is alive.

for this to work the BGP router of DR site needs iBGP sessions to the other two via the EIGRP /ATM cloud to be able to detect the state of BGP advertisements from main site

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094309.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card