Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN pass through

maldavis3697
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to set up a router that has a pretty simple setup. It has a private inside network that NATs out to the external internet. I just need to know if I have to enter a particular command to allow VPNs to pass through the router. I thought that this was something that was allowed automatically but I wanted to be sure..especially with the fact that the outgoing traffic is being NATed.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi maldavis

Since its not clear on what kinda connectivity scenario you have in your remote location m attaching a link which contains possible NAT/IPSEC related config scenarios.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

regds

Thanks for the reply. That was a great link but unfortunately I don't see the scenario I need.

To give a little more info...

We have a network connection that isn't linked to our internal network. It is on a certain VLAN that is set up for contractors and such to use. It goes directly to the internet via a Linksys router and a DSL modem. On the Linksys we had a selection to allow VPN passthrough...just in case a contractor was VPNing from our location out through the internet connection to a VPN concentrator or server in his/her company's network.

We are replacing the Linksys with a 2801 (with the advanced security IOS version 12.4(23)). The 2801 wouldn't be doing anything with the VPN tunnel except allowing it to pass out to the internet. I don't think I have to configure anything to allow this but I wanted to be sure. I did set up one access list on the router to allow anyone on that network to NAT out on the address used by the external interface of the router.

So do I need to do anything on the router to allow VPN tunnels to go out? I don't remember ever having to set this up on a regular router before but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card