cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to enable/install SNMP daemon on MARS?

tonymaupin
Level 1
Level 1

I need to enable SNMP on a MARS 6.x box, so it can be remotely monitored and provide health metrics. Does anyone know how to do this? I thought the old 4.x had it installed, but disabled. I can't remember how I enabled it and need to do this on a 6.x box. Any help is appreciated.

Tony

3 Replies 3

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

I think the underlying OS of the MARS box is Linux. Therefore, assuming you can root shell into the MARS box:

1- try "yum install net-snmp net-snmp-utils net-snmp-devel -y" if it uses CentOS or Red Hat Linux,

2- emerge snmp* if it uses Gentoo Linux,

In order to gain access to the OS you have to issue the command "expert" after logging into the box itself.

The expert password is comprised of two components. One is user changeable, the other is only known to Cisco TAC. You need both components to form the complete password. Without it, you cannot gain access to the OS itself.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20060111-mars.shtml

Beyond that, I haven't found a way to set an SNMP password on the box and running netstat (which the SSH interface does allow) doesn't show any SNMP ports open.

Mike

I too ran into this. Not for SNMP, but for auditing purposes and I wanted root access. TAC says no go unless they are debugging a serious problem.

So, I stopped thinking of this as a mystical black box, and started thinking of it as what it really is: a linux box as someone prior has stated.

Well, since it's just a linux box, during the install you can press alt-F2 and get a second tty. From there you can perform all manner of fun things that would indeed give you root access. This could also be done with sysrescue or similar...

Having said this, I certainly don't recomend tampering with a ``sealed system'' for a number of reasons, the primary one being that TAC won't be able to help you very much if you hose it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: