WIC-1T/2T or WIC-1DSU-T1???

Answered Question
Mar 11th, 2009

Good evening!

Some of you may still remember my earlier post about whether buy CISCO devices for CCIE certificate... Well, I have decided to buy some real devices instead of only using the simulator (GNS3) as 3 virtual 2620 routers are enough to crush my weak computer... Thank you guys for your kind suggestions! They helped a lot!

Now I have another problem... When I am searching on ebay, I see two types of WIC cards for T1: WIC-1T/2T and WIC-1DSU-T1. I know that the first one is recommended but I just want to know what the second one is for and whether I can use the second card for Frame-Relay lab? This card also has version 2 like WIC-1DSU-T1-V2, do I need it just for lab learning?

Half of the 2600s on ebay has the second type of WIC. Half of the routers don't ship to Canada. Now you know why I don't want to ignore them...



I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by tperrier about 7 years 10 months ago

Yes, it's just a matter of having cables with the right connectors. Also remember that for back to back connections, the cable must be DCE-DTE too.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
scottmac Wed, 03/11/2009 - 22:09

The WIC1(or2)T is a pure serial interface, you would use serial cables (DTE-->DCE) to connect to your "frame switch."

The WIC1(or 2)DSU has an integrated DSU/CSU and uses an RJ45-style interface (not serial). You'd use a chunk of UTP (.e., Cat5) in a T1 cross-over config; 1&2->4&5) to connect to your frame switch.

If you have a mix of WICxT and WICxDSU then you'd (usually) put an external DSU/CSU (connected to the router with a serial cable), then UTP from the DSU/CSU to the WICxDSU's RJ-style port.

Good Luck


Difan Zhao Thu, 03/12/2009 - 08:57

So from the configuration point of view, do I configure two interfaces the same? Are they all shown as "S0/x" interface in the router? Do I type "encapsulation frame-relay" the same on them?

I would appreciate a lot if you can tell me more about the frame switch! Some people told me that I can buy a 3620 router and configure it to be a switch. Is that true? So does it have to be 3620?

So you think it's ok to buy routers with DSU ports then? Someone is selling lot of 5 routers with 2 FE ports and 1 DSU-T1 port and you think it will be good for CCIE lab?

Thanks a lot for your information!

tperrier Fri, 03/13/2009 - 01:54

You can use any router as a frame-relay switch. A 3620 is even overkill: I used a lowly 2522, cheap and lots of serial ports.

I'm not too familiar with the T1 WIC, but I'm not sure you'll easily find a (cheap) router with lots of T1 ports to act as frame switch, as opposed to basic serial ports (the 2522 has 9 of those, for instance; most are very slow at 128 kb/s, but that's not a concern for a lab).

Difan Zhao Mon, 03/16/2009 - 11:47

I love answers which can lower my cost! By the way, is 1T and 2T compatible with each other? If I have a 1Tcard in one router, can I connect it to a 2T card on another router just by some special adapter cable and everything would be the same from the configuration point of view? Thanks!

Correct Answer
tperrier Wed, 03/18/2009 - 02:06

Yes, it's just a matter of having cables with the right connectors. Also remember that for back to back connections, the cable must be DCE-DTE too.


This Discussion