Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about 72XX router and LAN switching

Sultanov_Gafur
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 2all

There is a router 7204VXR/NPE-G2, our customer wants to ensure the transparent flow of about three hundred vlan through the router, switching functionality like trunking switchport allowed vlan xxx,yyy,zzz. Taking into account that the router is not broadcasting a vlan and for 72xx series, I did not find commuting port adapter, is there any way to meet customers demand without having to install additional standalone switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sultanov,

>> our customer wants to ensure the transparent flow of about three hundred vlan through the router,

you could use vlan based transport over IP with L2TPv3

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1043064

However, I seriously worry about the amount of traffic the customer is expected to travel over the links:

an NPE-G2 can handle 500 Mbps of traffic full-suplex between two GE ports.

And sharing 300 Vlans between two sites look like inappropriate.

Be aware of this, L2TPv3 should be able to carry frames of the 300 vlans between two sites over an IP network but level of traffic has to be controlled in some way or the router and the Wan link can be overwhelmed

Edit:

if the customer wants to support the 300 vlans locally within a single site that is a lan switch job and I would use one (C4500 or better) with a routed link to the C7204 that act as WAN router

L2TPv3 could support local switching but this has an impact on performance (traffic has to be processed twice by the router)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sultanov,

>> our customer wants to ensure the transparent flow of about three hundred vlan through the router,

you could use vlan based transport over IP with L2TPv3

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1043064

However, I seriously worry about the amount of traffic the customer is expected to travel over the links:

an NPE-G2 can handle 500 Mbps of traffic full-suplex between two GE ports.

And sharing 300 Vlans between two sites look like inappropriate.

Be aware of this, L2TPv3 should be able to carry frames of the 300 vlans between two sites over an IP network but level of traffic has to be controlled in some way or the router and the Wan link can be overwhelmed

Edit:

if the customer wants to support the 300 vlans locally within a single site that is a lan switch job and I would use one (C4500 or better) with a routed link to the C7204 that act as WAN router

L2TPv3 could support local switching but this has an impact on performance (traffic has to be processed twice by the router)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: