Views
Helpful
Replies

Email notification in Ciscoworks LMS 3.0

benjo.rulloda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have encountered a problem with one of our client's Ciscoworks program. One of their router interface went down but there was no email sent by Ciscoworks. Under Alerts and Activities, there were no logs related to the problem encountered. But upon checking from DFM>Device Management>Device Details, the particular router is in "Known" state and its interfaces are "Managed".

How can I check if the device is really sending logs to the Ciscoworks server?

Appreciate your help on this. Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM polls to get this information. The default polling interval is every four minutes. If the interface went down, and came back up before DFM detected it, it may not have registered.

Does DFM a polling out of the regular intervall if a trap was received from a device?

I thought so and I know it from other monitoring tools.

Do you send traps from your devices to DFM?

If I'm wrong with that you can use RME with the syslog-server to send emails for those failures by sending the link-down syslog messages to RME and creating an auto-action for those to send you emails.

The con of that is, that you will get hundreds of mails if the link is flapping...

DFM does receive and process some traps, but not a lot. DFM only uses link up/down traps to monitor for a flapping interface. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/3.1/user/guide/TrapFwd.html for a list of all DFM-handled traps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: