Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS SSL VPN client on Vista

adventurer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have set up a SSL VPN on a 877 router. It has been tested working with a XP notebook. Now the notebook has been formatted into Vista and i'm getting such error "The installer was not able to start the Cisco SSL VPN Client.

Please contact your IT administrator for more information. Click here to logout."

I looked up some old info and it seems in the past, SSL VPN client don't work in Vista. However that posting was quite old.

Has anyone manage to get it to work on Vista ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

s-kirk
Level 1
Level 1

I had the exact same problem apart from my router was a 2811.

The Cisco SSL VPN client is not supported on any flavour of Vista - you need to upgrade to the Anyconnect client.

I used the anyconnect-win-2.3.0254-k9.pkg

I also found that SDM did not recognise this as a valid SSL client so in order to install I did the following via the cli

1. tftp package to flash of router

2. Uninstall existing client with

no webvpn install svc flash:/webvpn/svc_1.pkg sequence 1

3. Install the new package with

webvpn install svc flash:anyconnect-win-2.3.0254-k9.pkg

After that I reconnected my broken vista client and it worked like a charm.

Plus as I was running 12.4(20)T I am now able to use anyconnect client in standalone mode - ie I do not have to connect via a browser.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ivan Martinon
Level 7
Level 7

SSL should work with vista, unless the machine is a 64 bit platform, in which case you would need AnyConnect instead of SSL. do you get any specific error from the Vista event viewer you can share?

I tried both sslclient-win-1.1.4.179.pkg and sslclient-win-1.1.4.179-anyconnect.pkg Both have the same error on Vista. However they both work on XP. No specific error was found in the Vista event viewer, and my account has local admin rights. I have tested on Vista business and enterprise, same problem.

Regards.

platform? 64 or 32? Also I am not sure about this on SSL or Anyconnect, I would check the releaes notes to see if the upgrade from XP to vista is supported, I recall that Cisco vpn client did not support this scenario.

Vista 32. All the test machines are fresh install, not upgrade.

I just tried connecting from another internet connection, same thing, so it's not related to internet connection.

Regards.

s-kirk
Level 1
Level 1

I had the exact same problem apart from my router was a 2811.

The Cisco SSL VPN client is not supported on any flavour of Vista - you need to upgrade to the Anyconnect client.

I used the anyconnect-win-2.3.0254-k9.pkg

I also found that SDM did not recognise this as a valid SSL client so in order to install I did the following via the cli

1. tftp package to flash of router

2. Uninstall existing client with

no webvpn install svc flash:/webvpn/svc_1.pkg sequence 1

3. Install the new package with

webvpn install svc flash:anyconnect-win-2.3.0254-k9.pkg

After that I reconnected my broken vista client and it worked like a charm.

Plus as I was running 12.4(20)T I am now able to use anyconnect client in standalone mode - ie I do not have to connect via a browser.

Spot on. anyconnect-win-2.3.0254-k9.pkg fixed the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: