Views
Helpful
Replies

about cisco IP phone firmware

rachelau_2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have to make sure the existing firmware of the IP phones will be compatible after the upgrade of the call manager from 4.2 to 6.1

when I check the device default configuration on the call manager, the load information indicate "P00308000400".

I am checking the compatibility from this website:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp47497

which indicates that I require the firmware version for cisco unified communication manager 6.1

8.0(7) - SCCP

8.0(8) - SCCP

8.0(9) - SCCP

how can I find out what firmware version is "P00308000400" on my existing call manager 4.2?

also how can I upgrade the firmware for the IP phone... do I upgrade the firmware first on the call manager 4.2. before I upgrade the call manager to 6.1? or I upgrade the call manager to 6.1. first and then after the I upgrade the firmware? does the sequence matters?

Thanks

kind regards

Rachel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Rachel,

Just wanted to add a couple of notes to the great tips from my friend Paolo (+5 points here Paolo :) This Firmware stuff always takes some getting used to.

You have to keep in mind that when you upgrade to 6.1(x) the existing phones will check to see what is installed on the 6.x Device Defaults, and if the Firmware is newer they will all upgrade.

This is key when trying to figure out the Upgrade / Migration Maintenance window time :)

If you have 3,000 phones you may not want them all to have to go through this process at the same time you are working through the CUCM Upgrade itself.

Many people determine what the new Firmware will be on the new 6.x build and upgrade the phones (on CCM 4.2) ahead of time.

If you look at the "Device Defaults" page on both the CCM 4.2 and CUCM 6.1(x) builds you will be able to see what changes are required.

Clear as mud!

Here are some docs related to Firmware naming conventions;

Firmware Naming Conventions

Examples;

P00303030300

3.3(3)

P00305000200

5.0(2)

P00306000100

6.0(1)

P00307000100

7.0(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/mgcp/firmware/matrix/frmwrup.html#wp1045867

How to Find the Firmware Version From a Cisco IP Phone

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080916f76.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you have 8.0(4). The latest is 8.0(10).

The order of upgrade doesn't matter and you will find that phones will work fine in any CM / FW combination.

Thanks for the reply.

is there a document that I can check? as I also have to find out what firmware it is for "SCCP70.8-0-2SR1S" ... which is for 7970G....

I also have to check a couple of different model as well... is there a document that I can refer to?

thanks

kind regards

Rachel

Hi, there are probably too many confusing documents and release notes. Then, many things you've to figure out yourself. For example, that you have 8.0(2)SR1S on the 7970.

The good news is that generally speaking phone FW is not critical until you run into some bug.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Rachel,

Just wanted to add a couple of notes to the great tips from my friend Paolo (+5 points here Paolo :) This Firmware stuff always takes some getting used to.

You have to keep in mind that when you upgrade to 6.1(x) the existing phones will check to see what is installed on the 6.x Device Defaults, and if the Firmware is newer they will all upgrade.

This is key when trying to figure out the Upgrade / Migration Maintenance window time :)

If you have 3,000 phones you may not want them all to have to go through this process at the same time you are working through the CUCM Upgrade itself.

Many people determine what the new Firmware will be on the new 6.x build and upgrade the phones (on CCM 4.2) ahead of time.

If you look at the "Device Defaults" page on both the CCM 4.2 and CUCM 6.1(x) builds you will be able to see what changes are required.

Clear as mud!

Here are some docs related to Firmware naming conventions;

Firmware Naming Conventions

Examples;

P00303030300

3.3(3)

P00305000200

5.0(2)

P00306000100

6.0(1)

P00307000100

7.0(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/mgcp/firmware/matrix/frmwrup.html#wp1045867

How to Find the Firmware Version From a Cisco IP Phone

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080916f76.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Excellent! I understand now, you are the best!!! thanks so much for your help again!!! Really appreciate it!

Thanks

Kind regards

Rachel :)

Hey Rachel,

You are most welcome my friend! Glad to be of some assistance here. Best of luck with your upgrades. When you go to install the new Firmware (if you do) you can try it on a small number of phones first by selecting the new loads via the IP Phone Device Configuration page. Once you are satisfied with the new version you can change it for the remaining phones via Device Defaults (just a thought :)

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: