cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What triggers the prompt for memory test during boot up of WLC.

tomathur
Level 1
Level 1

I have a controller that sometimes does and sometimes doesn't prompt for memory test at boot up. What triggers the prompt for memory test at boot up?

9 Replies 9

tomathur
Level 1
Level 1

The WLC is 4402 and the software version is 4.2.176.0

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried upgrading your bootstrap firmware?

No, I haven't tried upgrading the software.

Every time I boot up the WLC it gets stuck at memory test and asks to console to move forward.The bootstrap version is 4.2.112.0. Can we bypass the memory test?

I've never seen this before! I have experience with this firmware and bootstrap but your WLC is acting strange.

Try upgradint the firmware (bootstrap is fine) and see if this happens.

If you can't upgrade the firmware because of this memory check sequence, reboot/reload the WLC and during the bootup, interrupt the bootup sequence (by typeing the ESC key) and you can use the manual firware upgrade option.

We have the same behaviour with a 4402 controller.

After a software upgrade from 4.2.130.0 to 4.2.176.0 the controller didn't reboot automaticly during the first restart with the new software. I connected via console and saw this message:

Airespace 4200 Wireless LAN Switch Board - Memory Test

Invalid Option...Press any key to continue

Airespace 4200 Wireless LAN Switch Board - Memory Test

1. Restricted [4kB per MB]

2. Entire Range [512M]

3. EXIT

Then I choosed option <3 Exit> and the controller started correct.

Regards

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

I've tested by upgrading the firmware (and bootstrap) on two WLC from v3 to v5.2 firmware and I've never seen before!

Have you tried upgrading the bootstrap too?

No, I didn't upgrade the bootstrap. Is it necessary ?

Or could it be a problem that we have a terminal server connected to the console port ?

Hendrik

There are some firmware that won't work until the bootstrap has been upgraded. The bootstrap can sometimes contain emergency patches.

It would not have anything to do with the terminal server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card