Views
Helpful
Replies

does 3750 Metro support MPLS?

gpangallo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I choice two 3750 Metro with IP service license for a metropolitan network but now the customer asks me if they support MPLS.

I would like to know if I have to change the license up to IP advanced services or not.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Giuseppe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Giuseppe,

clearly the two tools are not aligned.

if we look at the MPLS confiugation of 12.2(44) SE

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swmpls.html

it says the only limitation is:

The switch must connect to the MPLS network through an ES port. MPLS configuration is supported only on ES ports.

there is no mention of feature set and actually mpls is enabled by default on routed interfaces

I think this switch is thought to be used in metro and/or MPLS environment so it is reasonable that MPLS is supported in all releases/feature sets

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Giuseppe,

I used feature navigator

www.cisco.com/go/fn

I selected search by plaform, I've specified IOS, c3750METRO, 12.2SE

it gives only two feature sets

EMI image

and EMI CRYPTO image

for example the EMI image:

Image Name c3750me-i5-mz.122-44.SE5.bin

DRAM / Min Flash 128 / 32

is declared to support MPLS including OSPF and EIGRP as PE-CE routing protocols

What image have you got on your C3750MEs ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

I used the feature navigator and I got to the same conclusion but my doubt is due to the fact that in my configuration there is Std Img with IP service license. Using the configuration tool there isn't EMI configuration for CAT3750ME. Moreover when I used the IOS software selector if I choice the MPLS feature there is any 3750 ME that is compliant with MPLS in anything configuration.

In conclusion, now using the standard Image because I can't change it (according to the configuration tool), what license do I have to use )?As mentioned-above the current is the IP service license.

I hope I explain it and you could answer me as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

clearly the two tools are not aligned.

if we look at the MPLS confiugation of 12.2(44) SE

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swmpls.html

it says the only limitation is:

The switch must connect to the MPLS network through an ES port. MPLS configuration is supported only on ES ports.

there is no mention of feature set and actually mpls is enabled by default on routed interfaces

I think this switch is thought to be used in metro and/or MPLS environment so it is reasonable that MPLS is supported in all releases/feature sets

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gee whiz guys! You two not only have the same names but work for the same company! Haven't you gents tried picking up the phone and calling each other?

He he he ... Joking only.

Leo

Good spot :-)

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card