cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 vs 3560 in POE environments

hypnotoad
Level 3
Level 3

I have Cisco phone system. It's been running here for the last five years. At that time, I was buying 3550 POE switches for my remote offices to support the phones. The 2900 series had no POE support.

The 2900 series is now offered in a a POE version. I'm considering the perchase of these as the company grows. What will I be giving up besides the layer three functionality? Would you go with a 3560 or 2960 and why?

--Patrick

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Patrick

The answer is as always on these sort of things - it depends :-).

Attached is a link to a pdf comparing all the Catalyst switches and the features they support so you can see what you get by choosing the 3560 versus the 2960 -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/switches/ps5718/ps708/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805f0955.pdf

One thing i would say is that L3 functionality can be very useful even extended to the access-layer. Obviously you need to balance this against the cost difference but the 3560 gives you more flexibility in the future.

Jon

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think you have kind of answered it . Do you need layer 3 and do you think in the future you would need the added bandwidth a 3560 woudl give you . If its a smaller install then the 2960 would probably work fine , if you want added bandwidth with a stackable layer 2 solution then the 2975 which is a stackable layer 2 48 port 10/100/1000 POE switch . this gives you 3750 stackability in a layer 2 switch along with 48 POE ports. The 3560 and 2960-75 series basically have the same qos features I believe but you would have to read the spec sheet.

The 2975 comes in as a 48-port-only switch but it will provide PoE (standard PoE of 15.4 watts) UP TO 24-ports only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: