cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast in MPLS VPN

nishantmj
Level 1
Level 1

In our network we have segregated into two network segments i.e CUST_A and CUST_B.Sevice like IPTV,VOIP,and data are provided.The problem is when we create a SHARED vrf internet works but IPTV does not work.Please provide us an alternate solution wherein we can have IPTV run in SHARED mode.

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Nishant,

I think what you need is called Multicast vpn extranet support.

you may need to upgrade your IOS to support it

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/configuration/guide/imc_mc_vpn_extranet_ps6017_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe!

Can you provide little info whether Cisco IOS 12.2 has support for extranet vpn or list of IOS which support extranet VPN.Would reaaly appriciate your help.

Hello Nishant,

I've used feature navigator

www.cisco.com/go/fn

Search by feature

I've typed multicast to have a subset of all features

I've found and selected

Features

Hardware Acceleration for Multicast VPN Extranet Support

IP Multicast Multilayer Switching (MMLS)

these are supported on C6500/C7600 with sup720/MSFC3

a possible release is

ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES SSH s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH3.bin 512 512

My guess is that you are using C6500 or C7600 if you have a different platform you can make another search by platform

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe

its s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin IOS and it doesn't have feature for hardware acceleration for Hardware Acceleration for Multicast VPN Extranet Support.

probably have to go for an IOS upgrade.

OR

look for an alternate solution for this topology.

Our network has one Cisco 6509 switch and 12 cisco 7609 routers connected in partial mesh.We have deployed MPLS-VPN solution as described above.And stuck with multicast not working(IPTV).

Can you suggest any if any.

Hello Nishant,

the hardware acceleration feature should be only an optimization of the forwarding plane.

Unless you are facing a performance issue you should be fine with your current release.

By the way, we had to upgrade to 12.2(33)SXH because 12.2(18)SXF doesn't support well the 8 Tengiga linecard WS-6708.

We have upgraded a whole campus some mounths ago with no issue.

To be noted that 12.2(33)SXH introduces the mdt address family under BGP multiprotocol so there is a big change also in multicast signalling features.

If you like you can provide more details of your issue in the forum or you can plan an upgrade on some PE nodes and look to see if the behaviour changes.

Edit:

there also the declared restrictions to be taken in account:

Restrictions for Configuring Multicast VPN Extranet Support

•The Multicast VPN Extranet Support feature only supports Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) sparse mode (PIM-SM) and Source Specific Multicast (SSM) traffic; PIM dense mode (PIM-DM) and bidirectional PIM (bidir-PIM) traffic are not supported.

•When configuring extranet MVPNs in a PIM-SM environment, the source and the rendezvous point (RP) must reside in the same site of the MVPN behind the same provider edge (PE) router.

these are from the document I've linked in my first post.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe

Our network has L3 switch where all the services have been terminated.CCM for Voice,MCU and IPTV for Video,and internet and intra net for data.

we have to segment(segregate) the network into two as of today(might change) and are going to avail these services.

There are 2 parent nodes which connect 5 routers from north and 6 routers from south respectively.

The problem is when try to make L3 as a PE node (making all the services in shared vrf)the IPTV service is not working.secondly,voice communication between two VRF's(inter VRF) does'nt happen(in our case must work).thirdly monitoring each device through NMS becomes difficult.

Please help.I will provide you the network diagram soon!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card