Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Touch Tone Menu Problems

Hi,

I have a UC500 set up and don't really have many problems with it, but recently some users report that certain touch tone menus (eg when calling banks etc) don't work, they press the button nothing happens.

Is there anyway to configure the settings for this, so the options are recognised by all menus?

The menus work fine from none voip phones

Thanks for your help, I find this website very useful

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is not one of our certified CCA SIP Trunk providers, so I don't know what DTMF relay method they support. You will need to ask them that, and then configure (using CLI) the proper option under your SIP outbound dial peers (inbound if you have calls to AA coming from the SIP trunk):

UC500(config)#dial-peer voice 1002 voip

UC500(config-dial-peer)#dtmf-relay ?
  cisco-rtp          Cisco Proprietary RTP
  h245-alphanumeric  DTMF Relay via H245 Alphanumeric IE
  h245-signal        DTMF Relay via H245 Signal IE
rtp-nte            RTP Named Telephone Event RFC 2833
  sip-kpml           DTMF Relay via KPML over SIP SUBCRIBE/NOTIFY
  sip-notify         DTMF Relay via SIP NOTIFY messages

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hi,

Are you using a SIP trunk or POTS for your outbound calls? If this is a SIP trunk, what provider do you use?

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Thanks for your quick reply

It is using POTS that the problem happens

DTMF problems are very rare over POTS connections. They usually point to an incorrect clock setting (if you are using digital trunks like PRI, BRI) or to some quality issue like gain or impedance matching (if using analog trunks). What type of POTS are you using? Where is this system located?

Marcos

Sorry thats wrong, it is with the SIP Trunks that we are having the problems

Our provider is voiceflex

This is not one of our certified CCA SIP Trunk providers, so I don't know what DTMF relay method they support. You will need to ask them that, and then configure (using CLI) the proper option under your SIP outbound dial peers (inbound if you have calls to AA coming from the SIP trunk):

UC500(config)#dial-peer voice 1002 voip

UC500(config-dial-peer)#dtmf-relay ?
  cisco-rtp          Cisco Proprietary RTP
  h245-alphanumeric  DTMF Relay via H245 Alphanumeric IE
  h245-signal        DTMF Relay via H245 Signal IE
rtp-nte            RTP Named Telephone Event RFC 2833
  sip-kpml           DTMF Relay via KPML over SIP SUBCRIBE/NOTIFY
  sip-notify         DTMF Relay via SIP NOTIFY messages

Marcos Hernandez
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Thanks Marcos

Did you ever get this to work? If not, try dtmf-relay sip-notify under your dial peers. That is what Voiceflex supports.

Also, did you manage to get inbound calls working for multiple DDI's from Voiceflex?

Regards

Rob

MARVIN SPITERI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have same problem exactly with new UC520, all works fine except the touch tone menu DTMF - I am also using SIP through service provider, and have been playing around trying different DTMF rely settings, so far non of them made any difference, my client is getting very upset . It might seem a small issue but it is really frustrating, imagine I could not even call Cisco TAC as it has auto-answering and I could not choose from the options by pressing 1 etc etc !!

Please help - I also tried debug to see what SIP provider really wants but it seems that there are too many options to try them all out. Isn't there a default standard for DTMF to work ?

Hi,

If your SIP provider is any good they should have a help line to call or email. You should contact them first as I suspect it is a basic problem with DTMF. Most good SIP providers have a DTMF test telephone number to call so that you can test your deployment before going live. Basically you call the DTMF test number and it plays back what you dial. Here in the UK, the SIP Provider Voiceflex has such a number. Check with your provider to see if they have a number you can test your DTMF with.

Your SIP provider can tell you what SIP DTMF method they use.

Here is an example of a Dial-Peer that works with most providers (Please check with you provider which dtmf method they support):

dial-peer voice 1000 voip
permission term
description ** Incoming call from SIP trunk (Generic SIP Trunk Provider) **
voice-class codec 1
voice-class sip dtmf-relay force rtp-nte
session protocol sipv2
session target sip-server
incoming called-number .%
dtmf-relay sip-notify
ip qos dscp cs5 media
ip qos dscp cs4 signaling
no vad
!

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

If you do not specify any DTMF relay under the dial peer (just negate whatever command is there now), you will be using inband DTMF. Try that and let us know.

Notice there might be some interoperability issues with other services on the UC500 when doing inband.

Marcos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: