cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN session question on two 6509s

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have two 6509 switch connected via a fiber trunk on the SUP blade.

All vlans are trunked on this trunk.

Both switches have monitor sessions set up on them and I am getting an error trying to create an additional one.

I am thinking I can remove one of them cecause it looks redundant to me:

Switch 1

monitor session 1 source vlan 1 , 5 , 10 - 249

monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 998

monitor session 3 source vlan 250

monitor session 3 destination remote vlan 251

Switch 2

monitor session 1 source vlan 1 , 10 - 249 rx

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi8/40

monitor session 2 source interface Gi8/19

monitor session 2 destination interface Fa4/40

monitor session 6 destination interface Gi8/21

monitor session 6 source remote vlan 251

If switch 2 is monitoring all vlans and is detined for port g8/40, this should collect all information on both switches if all vlans are trunked, correct?

This means I could remove monitor session 1 on switch one (detined for vlan 998) because this would be collected on the other monitor session, correct?

Also, I do not see any ports in vlan 998, how would I collect anything from that monitor session?

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Richard,

both vlans 251 and 998 are remote span vlans.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1059942

but probably vlan 998 is not used anymore

verify with sh vlan id 998 on Switch1

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Correct,

But is my thinking correct also in that since I am spanning the vlans on switch 2 and all vlans are trunked, the remote span on switch 1 to vlan 998 is redundant?

Is that correct?

Also, on my destination port, does this have to be in any particulr vlan?

For example if it is a workstation that will be collecting, the destination port needs to be in the workstation vlan?

Hello Richard,

the destination port doesn't need to be in the remote span vlan.

the remote span vlan is a logical pipe to carry captured traffic using the remote span vlan vlan-id on trunk ports from source switch to destination switch.

on destination switch the remote span vlan is declared the source of the monitor session and so it can be associated to a port that doesn't need to be in the rspan vlan.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: