cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO and ANI/CLID

billkemmer
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully an easy one here. 2801 router with 4 FXO trunks. Customer insists that callerid and number should show up inbound. Is there a debug I can run on an incoming call that can verify that telco is sending this info down the trunk. "caller-id enable" is configured on the voice ports and I didn't think there was much else to do. This is a 2801 CME with a mix of 7975, 7962, and 7911 phones. Of course, I could go onsite with an old analog display phone, but that involves a 2 hour drive--a nice debug would be a good start. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bill,

I beleive the debug that will show this is;

"debug voip ccapi inout"

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I'll give it a shot today.

Hi,

The debug you would really want to look at is 'debug vpm signal'.

You should be able to skim through the debugs for 'FSK', as this is the name of the protocol that is responsible for the caller id. We occasionally see instances where the FSK is being distorted and fails. This is almost always a provider issue.

If you have caller-id enabled, and you're not getting caller id, it's probably a provider issue. You can check the ccapi debug, and you'll want to check this part of the debug:

cisco-username=

----- ccCallInfo IE subfields -----

cisco-ani=?????

cisco-anitype=0

cisco-aniplan=0

cisco-anipi=0

cisco-anisi=0

dest=????

cisco-desttype=0

cisco-destplan=0

cisco-rdie=FFFFFFFF

cisco-rdn=

cisco-rdntype=-1

cisco-rdnplan=-1

cisco-rdnpi=-1

cisco-rdnsi=-1

cisco-redirectreason=-1

The ani there should have some value if you're getting caller id.

hth,

nick

I agree with Nick, but having seen cases in which a $5 phone picks CLID ok, but router doesn't, I would hesitate is saying that is always a provider issue. Hopefully, that is not the case here.

Note that this is what I've seen in my experience - normally the cases where the analog phone works but the router doesn't is still a problem with the provider.

The way it normally comes down is that the provider is sending a slightly-out-of-spec CLID, and the phone is more lenient in what it will take than the router. This then becomes a problem because if the router was to be more lenient, then there would be another phone somewhere else that wouldn't receive the right caller id from a provider that was in spec.

Some insight into the less fun nitpicking that goes on with providers.

-nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: