Unanswered Question
Mar 13th, 2009

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about NX-OS and its benefits with Cisco expert Mark Berly. Mark is a senior manager of product management in Cisco System's Data Center Business Unit. He is the product line manager for software and management products on Cisco's next-generation switching products. He was responsible for leading an engineering team while assisting in designing and certifying some of the world's largest enterprise networks based on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series platform and helped launch the widely recognized SafeHarbor testing program. Before joining Cisco in 1999, Mark was the director for IT operations at Southern Packaging Corporation and led an Internet start-up for Queue Systems, Inc., where he built the company's Web business presence and served as the worldwide senior technical point of escalation. Mark is an experienced speaker and trusted technical advisor for many of today's largest corporate networking staffs. He holds CCIE certification number 5898.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mark know if you have received an adequate response.

Mark might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through March 27, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bbaley Mon, 03/16/2009 - 10:31

Does NXOS support In-Service Software Upgrades (ISSU)?

mberly Mon, 03/16/2009 - 20:14

Simply put yes NX-OS supports ISSU, some of the key features are:

- Simple to perform, a single CLI command is all it takes

- Built-in verification checks, ISSU compatibility checks are performed automatically to ensure a smooth upgrade with no surprises.

- Zero service disruption, this means you can perform an upgrade adding new features or functionality with absolutely no disruption to the applications running over your network.

- Both upgrades and downgrades, not only can you upgrade but if you decide that you need to revert to the older version it can be be done all with zero service disruption.

In today's virtualized data center maintenance windows are almost non-existent. NX-OS provides the tools allowing you perform maintenance anytime with no disruption to the services running over the network.

mberly Wed, 03/25/2009 - 12:48

All processes are constantly monitored to ensure they are working as expected. If a problem is detected a process can be restarted in milliseconds with absolutely no loss of state information. So even if the spanning-tree process were to restart the new process would become active in milliseconds with all of the data available to the previous process. This is done via a memory check pointing system that has proven effective over the past 5+ years of shipping SAN/NX-OS.

In short what does this mean to you? Even in the unlikely event of a process restart a new process will be spawned and pick-up where the old process left off in milliseconds. So none of the other devices or traffic in your network even know anything has even happened.

aghaznavi Thu, 03/19/2009 - 09:09

I have heard about Unified I/O in the data center how does NX-OS play a roll?

mberly Fri, 03/20/2009 - 06:37

Cisco NX-OS provides key foundational elements required to enable Unified I/O, for example it is the only operating system that:

- Supports both SAN and LAN protocols

- Provides the 24x7 availability requirements of a converged network

- Allows for maintenance anytime, with its ISSU subsystem

- Provides a virtualized operating environment, SAN and LAN can coexist in their own self contained fault isolated environment

- Addresses the operational and political challenges by providing a virtualized environment

- Along with the Nexus series switches has the tools to provide a lossless environment to support storage protocols over Ethernet

- Is conceptualized and developed by the industry's most innovative and visionary thinkers

Those are just a few of the ways that Cisco NX-OS plays a role in unified I/O, if you have further questions please let me know...

b.hsu Mon, 03/23/2009 - 09:05

Is NX-OS running on the Nexus 7000 the same as NX-OS running on the Nexus 5000?

mberly Wed, 03/25/2009 - 12:43

The short answer is yes it is...

The slightly longer answer: The only significant difference are the hardware specific modifications that need to be made to the various drivers which allows a release to run on a specific set of hardware. The vast majority of the code is platform independent and is common across all Nexus products.

if you want more details please let me know...

andrew.burns Thu, 03/26/2009 - 07:58

That's an interesting point - if there are slight differences in the code then would you need to take care if building an NX-OS template configuration? Would it need some tweaking depending on the hardware?

mberly Thu, 03/26/2009 - 12:39

I had not thought about this use case it is a really good one. There may be some slight differences but overall everything should be the same. You can also use the device XML interface to provide this consistent interface...

3dmooney Wed, 03/10/2010 - 15:13

Hello -

We have several Nexus 7000s in our DC environment. We use Concord eHealth to perform SNMP monitoring.

When we use SNMP  get  we would like  a return of the FQDN.

We do not want to put the FQDN in the hostname as the FDQN is too long for the prompt.

On IOS you can use IP domain name with the host name and the query will concatenate them.

Why does this not work on NX -OS?

Is there another way to have the device return the FQDN without populating it in the hostname field?

bbasler Thu, 03/11/2010 - 11:46

Are you saying that once you configure the ip domain-name in NX-OS and you then query the FQDN via SNMP you get everything in the hostname field instead of having it split up to hostname and domain-name?

3dmooney Mon, 03/15/2010 - 07:05

Correct. All other Cisco equipm

ent reponds with hostname,

The NX-OS devices respond with hostname only.

This Discussion