cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Time Based Bandwidth Control through Cisco 2811 Router

contact_abdul
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 Mbps Internet Bandwidth.I want to allocate this bandwidth to two lans.Office Lan 1 and Home Office Lan2. From 4 Mbps Input bandwidth I want to give 3 Mbps to Office during day hours ( 9 am to 5 pm) and remaining 1 Mbps to Home office during day (9 am to 5 pm).

During Night I want to reverse this.For e.g from 5 pm to 9 am (night hours) I want 3 mbps to be used to home office lan 2 and remaining 1 Mbps to office lan1.

questions:

01.Is it possible what I want to implement using cisco 2811 router?

02.IF yes then what sort of Cisco ios/image i need & approximate Cost (GPL price)?

03.Can anyone mention the logical code thinking that I am lame man.

04.The Input 4 Mbps internet bandwidth on Cisco 2811 wan fast ethernet will be through source ADSL Modem with Public I.Ps.

05.Can I implement the same scenario using cheaper router 1841 series? Is yes then what sort of Image I need.

06.Yes I am ready to use Cisco 2960 series along with Cisco router in my project.so please give the solution by using router and switch combination

thnx in advance.

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You might be able to use timed based ACLs as part of this solution, but since you mention "input bandwidth", do you mean input from the Internet to your LANs? If you do, is your intention to limit the bandwidth your LANs can obtain, or to limit the WAN input bandwidth used? (NB: They're not the same. Rate limiters or policers might insure the first, but the latter is very, very difficult to control unless you control the far side of the WAN link [to you].)

PS:

Unsure without reviewing their capabilties, but for 4 Mbps of bandwidth, a 2801, 1800 seies or even 800 series might do.)

Dear Josephdoherty,

I am getting 4 Mbps internet fromISP.I want to control on our local users/lan. Not on wan side.

Yes, I understand that, although you also wrote using ADSL, so is it 4 Mbps both in and out, or something like 4 Mbps in (to you) and 1 Mbps out (to the Internet)?

When you note you want to control your users/LAN, and you reference Internet bandwidth, you can control bandwidth usage out (to the Internet) and/or in (from the Internet), but the two (in vs. out) can not be controlled in the same way unless you also control the ISP's ADSL connection side.

What's unclear is whether you want to control Internet bandwidth both in and out, and what type of control you desire. Here too, for bandwidth control out to the Internet you can guarantee a minimum amount of bandwidth, a maximum of bandwidth, or both.

Dear Joseph,

Now I will make my question very simple.I have 4 Mbps adsl internet from ISP.

I have two lan users lan1 and lan2.

How can I provide internet on time based control to two lans?

ISP gave me I.Ps ,Subnet and Gateway and dns (real or public I.ps) on my adsl internet.ok?

Ok, simple answer - by using timed based ACLs.

PS:

I'm sure you would like more information on how this is accomplished, but it's unclear to me the type of control you actually want to implement. However, this Cisco TechNote might help, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk759/technologies_tech_note09186a00801aa69d.shtml

[edit]

PPS:

Without additional information, I don't believe I can assist you futher (sorry). Perhaps someone else might comment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card