cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IronPort support can't backup, repair or edit database?

Hello.

I'm totally confused. We have lost once the whole tracking database in M box, and luckily the box was active only few weeks, so like support suggested, we deleted the database.

And this happened again just few day's ago. Last two weeks (the old ones are ok) tracking messages are not accessible, any query gives:

Message Tracking
Errors have occurred:
The Message Tracking service is in the process of restarting. Please try again in 2-3 minutes.

Support checked and find that database last part is corrupt, I asked them just remove the corrupt one
so that new data will accepted.

Support said that they can't do anything and we must delete the whole database again.

This is not acceptable. Old data must not be deleted. It's not stone age. It's a basic database. Any database is editable.

I asked them to give us access to box and we will do it. Or we open the box and do it.

IronPort is a security product, and making backup from database is impossible and IronPort and Cisco doesn't have skills to dump or/and edit a database?

This sounds like a joke?

Any suggestion?

6 Replies 6

Unfortunately it's true. M series data could not be backup and/or restored.

This is a major problem.

The only solution is to have to M series in cluster. It's what we are doing.

This is a major problem.

But as far I know, M series cluster will work in the same way as C series in cluster mode, so each box has own database and the data will not be in sync between cluster members?

And about the data, if data is not possible to recover on backup (actually I don't believe that), why is impossible to push the data again from C series boxes, as the original tracking data is still there?

steven_geerts
Level 1
Level 1

We had a similar problem when one of the memory DIMM modules of out M series was broken.

Ironport Send us a brand new M1050 to replace the one with the broken DIMM.
The problem was that it was not possible to transfer the stored data from the original system to the new one.
After some intense phone calls with support they allowed us to switch the DIMM's between the systems, so our problem was solved.
The answer on my question if the backup (and import) of old data was on the roadmap was that it was an important point that would be solved in one of the (soon) upcoming releases.

still waiting for it.....

Steven

karlyoun
Level 1
Level 1

This is a major problem.

But as far I know, M series cluster will work in the same way as C series in cluster mode, so each box has own database and the data will not be in sync between cluster members?

And about the data, if data is not possible to recover on backup (actually I don't believe that), why is impossible to push the data again from C series boxes, as the original tracking data is still there?

On ESA (C-Series) "clustering" refers to Centralized Management, where configuration changes are kept synced between a group of appliances in a cluster.

On SMA (M-Series), I don't think we use the term clustering, but we do have the ability to have two M-series pull the same data from a group of ESAs, which effectively creates a backup.

Karl Young
Cisco IronPort Product Support Engineer
Email Security Appliances

pvdberg00
Level 1
Level 1

This means that Ironport send two M machines when one is ordered ? :D

karlyoun
Level 1
Level 1

This means that Ironport send two M machines when one is ordered ?  :D

I'm afraid that commitment is above my pay grade.
8)