cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

gbic question

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

Regarding SFP GBIC's, will 1/2GB SFP GBIC's generally work in 1GB or 2GB capable equipment? I mean obviously it should work in equipment that is 1GB/2GB capable, but what about equipment that is only 1GB?

I am looking at Finisar FTRJ8519P1BNL SFP GBIC's to use in my 9216A's in the lab, as well as my Fortra and Xyratex storage arrays.

5 Replies 5

inch
Level 3
Level 3

can you even get 1gb FC SFP's?

Obviously s/he can get or have them and me also as eBay-like-afterMarkets has lots of them :)

Serious, why no trying it. Equipment will not go broke. To my latest memory of access experiment, 1/2Gbics will work in 1Gbic only.

Goodluck and let us know.

I believe that in the later SAN-OS versions, there is a checking that occurs and if the SFP is not one of the supported (generally this means sold by Cisco), the port will be disabled with a message 'Unsupported SFP'.

I would verify that the ones you are looking to put into the MDS, do indeed work before purchasing a large amount of them.

- Mike

Thanks is there an official list of supported GBICs somewhere?

Just so others know, I did use some cheap third party gbics (some agilent and finisar) and they did show "not supported" under "sh int fcx/y trans". However, they appear to work fine (although not supported). This is in my lab, so price was much more critical than being supported. I am not sure about performance, but from a features perspective everything seems to work as expected.

Brian