cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any ideas on how to extend the asynch lines from term srvr octopus cable?

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a home lab wheremy rack with most of my gear is in one location (where there is sufficient power) but I have several switches in another location. On my rack I have a 2811 set up as a term server with async lines and octopus cables. I have all my routers in my rack connected via the cables with no issues. However, I would like to be able to somehow extend these async lines (without physically extending each of the cables using a barrel connector and a length of normal thru Cat 5 - already thought of that and eliminated that option). It would be nice if I could plug the async line into a port of my switch and then just distribute it via a VLAN - but the asyn line cable and the switchport dont link up.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeffrey,

>> without physically extending each of the cables using a barrel connector and a length of normal thru Cat 5 - already thought of that and eliminated that option

you are describing the requirement for a second terminal server in the switches' rack.

even if you can have an RJ-45 cable async is not a lan port at all.

you can find an used c2500 with async/ports and a lan interface it is enough for this duty.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

There are RS232 LAN adaptors, but to me it seems like the only reason to do terminal access is for out of band management. If you run the RS232 in-band you are kinda defeating the purpose.

You could get by running a single cable to two small patch panels and punching in the back, that would save you the discrete barrel connectors...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card