cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any ideas on how to extend the asynch lines from term srvr octopus cable?

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a home lab wheremy rack with most of my gear is in one location (where there is sufficient power) but I have several switches in another location. On my rack I have a 2811 set up as a term server with async lines and octopus cables. I have all my routers in my rack connected via the cables with no issues. However, I would like to be able to somehow extend these async lines (without physically extending each of the cables using a barrel connector and a length of normal thru Cat 5 - already thought of that and eliminated that option). It would be nice if I could plug the async line into a port of my switch and then just distribute it via a VLAN - but the asyn line cable and the switchport dont link up.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeffrey,

>> without physically extending each of the cables using a barrel connector and a length of normal thru Cat 5 - already thought of that and eliminated that option

you are describing the requirement for a second terminal server in the switches' rack.

even if you can have an RJ-45 cable async is not a lan port at all.

you can find an used c2500 with async/ports and a lan interface it is enough for this duty.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

There are RS232 LAN adaptors, but to me it seems like the only reason to do terminal access is for out of band management. If you run the RS232 in-band you are kinda defeating the purpose.

You could get by running a single cable to two small patch panels and punching in the back, that would save you the discrete barrel connectors...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card