Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I update the Boot Loader on a Catalyst 2950

MadProfessor
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day All.

I am having a few problems with a Catalyst 2950 series switch.

The bootloader on my unit is "C2950 Boot Loader (C2950-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(11r)EA1 Release Software (fc1) Compiled Mon 22-Jul-02"

Can anyone please tell me if I can update the bootloader as I need to run some commands that seem to be missing from this version.

If it is not possible to update the bootloader maybe you might be able to help me out with my problem I am having.

I am unable to gain access to the web interface and the Cisco Network Assistant will not talk to the switch, but I can ping and get a responce, So I wanted to backup all the data in the flash clear and reloaded with the latest IOS.

But this is where I hit a problem it seems like the current version of the bootloader does not have half of the needed commands.

Thanks for your time.

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Boot loader has nothing to do with features . Just download the latest IOS version and if has to have web gui then you have to download the .tar file which has all the web files . Use the archive download command to extract the IOS and load it . Unless your current version was a .tar file then it would not have web access.

I am unable to install the lastest IOS version via the console as like I said above most of the commands I need to use are missing, and that inclueds the archive command. I also can not use the web interface or the Cisco Network Assistant to update the IOS as it will not talk to the switch.

The 2950's bootloader can't be upgraded using software. It's a hardware chip.

Glen is right. When you are trying to upgrade the IOS, are you in enable mode?

Please browse through this document and let us know what problems you are encountering:

Upgrading the Switch Software

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_22_ea13/release/notes/OL16966.html#wp999247

If its missing a IOS completly and it is sitting at a switch: prompt then you will have to use the Xmodem method of installing the code . If its at a normal prompt then it has to have a copy command to load a new IOS even if its old unless you are not in enable mode when you are trying this .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

I've got my switch back up and running now.

It looks like my switch was having a problem with the config.text.

I deleted the config.text, rebooted the unit, setup the basic config via the console, then I could access the switch with the Cisco Network Assistant software, and I then reloaded the lastest IOS software, and the unit is now back to how it was before the problem.

This is the 1st time I have had this kind of problem with this switch.

Does anyone have any ideas what may of caused this to happen?

Thanks for your time.

Sounds like your config's the culprit here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card