cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi VRF

mailaglady2
Level 1
Level 1

I have managed to set up a vrf and it's working from one end to the other, so my problem is to set up a multi vrf ce to communicate with PE1, PE2 and finally the ce on the other side. Can I run 2 VPN's on one router but by means of sub-interfaces with two different VRF's?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you are running BGP as PE-CE routing protocol then you need to configure the neighbour statements inside the address family in CE also.You need to configure the neighbour peering for each vrf.

or else you can configure in the router bgp AS ...and then inside the address family you need to configure neighbor x.x.x.x activate.

Hope this would solve your issues.

Jay

View solution in original post

Hello Lawrence,

I've explained this in your thread called "OSPF and BGP redistribution" if you like you can review there

you need to define a VRF on the multi-VRF CE and to use address-family ipv4 vrf CE-vrf to define BGP session with PE.

I don't think you need to use send-label because a multiVRF CE shouldn't use MPLS forwarding at all.

Otherwise it is a form of Carrier Supporting Carrier or a form of Inter-AS VPN between two providers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jayanthan
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can create two vrfs and bind each for two subinterfaces of an Interface.

But in the CE you may have a LAN interface and you have to bind that LAN interface to a particular VRF to see it in the VRF routing table.

If dont have subinterfaces in the LAN interfaces (two LANs in the physical interface )or more than one LAN interfaces, then how you re going to make use of the second VRF is to be considered.

Jay

Do I need configure the address-family on the ce with the neighbor of the PE for both vrf's?

I did not create the address family on the CE for the one I configured since it was a single vrf. I only applied the VRF forwarding on the sub-interface of the PE. I understand there is no need to configure the address-family on the CE, the only thing that I need to do is to configure neighbor x.x.x.x send-label, but where do I do this on the address-family or router BGP AS on global config?

If you are running BGP as PE-CE routing protocol then you need to configure the neighbour statements inside the address family in CE also.You need to configure the neighbour peering for each vrf.

or else you can configure in the router bgp AS ...and then inside the address family you need to configure neighbor x.x.x.x activate.

Hope this would solve your issues.

Jay

Hello Lawrence,

I've explained this in your thread called "OSPF and BGP redistribution" if you like you can review there

you need to define a VRF on the multi-VRF CE and to use address-family ipv4 vrf CE-vrf to define BGP session with PE.

I don't think you need to use send-label because a multiVRF CE shouldn't use MPLS forwarding at all.

Otherwise it is a form of Carrier Supporting Carrier or a form of Inter-AS VPN between two providers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi

To everyone who participated in this thread, Thank you very much and I appreciate everything you doing for me. I find this forum so helpful and fruitful. So I have grown so much in cisco networks due to you good people.. please, please, please keep up the good work.

Thanks and regards

Lawrence

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card