Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA 941, WBP54G, WRTG54G dont work.

alphicgroup
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have the spa941 connected to an wbp54g and this one is connected to a wrt54g but dont work. the buttons on the spa 941 keep orange.

but when i connect the spa941 with the wbp54g to an 2wire router works fine.

(in both cases the wbp54g has been configured to each router)

some one can help me with this?

Best regards.

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Sir;

Please see the response on the thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3093120#3093120

link was edited by: Cindy Toy

View solution in original post

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

An orange LED on the phone indicates that the phone is not in contact with the proxy defined in Ext N > Proxy and Registration > Proxy:

From your description, it sounds like its a wireless configuration problem [when i connect the spa941 with the wbp54g to an 2wire router works fine]

Did you use the WBP54G wizard to configure the WBP54G?

If not, go back and use the WBP54G wizard to configure the WBP54G.

Did you ever get the phone to register when using the WBP54G?

If you did get the phone to register via the WBP54G, then perhaps you are now attempting to deploy beyond the range of the WRT54G.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi,

I believe that this is a basic networking issue, not a voice-related issue.

Something to consider is that the wired network and wireless network are probably two different networks.

"the SPA9000 assing an IP to the phone ..."

Can you use different words please? I don't understand what you mean by this.

"when i run the wizard of the SPA9000 can´t locate the SPA941."

Is the computer running the wizard, wired, or wireless?

I'm betting that the computer is running wired, please run in wireless mode and see if the wizard can locate the SPA9000 and the SPA941.

Questions:

1. What IP address does the SPA9000 have? [analog phone in FXS port, ****, 110#, and document the IP address]
  2. What is the SPA941 DHCP Enable status? [Setup button, 9, option 1]
  3. What IP address does the SPA941 have in a wired environment? [Setup button, 9, and document option 2, the IP address]
  4. Move the SPA941 to a wireless environment, what is it's IP address after booting? [Setup button, 9, and document the IP address]
  5. Using a wireless computer, what is the computer's IP address [c:\ipconfig /all]
  6. Using the wireless computer, ping the SPA9000's IP address, is the ping successful? Does the SPA9000 reply to the pings?
          [Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt >
           c:\ ping

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Great job troubleshooting. Thanks for letting me know that you have resolved the problem.

With respect to the new issue: but i have another problem i connect a pc to the LAN of the the SPA9000 and the internet dont work??

Please refer to page 50 of the Installation Guide which shows how to connect the devices together:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-1749

In summary, the SPA9000 Internet port is connected to the LAN switch. The SPA9000 Ethernet port is not used.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi,

but i have another question regarding the LAN connection of the SPA9000. the LAN must still active, i mean i must be able to connect a pc tru there?

The SPA9000 has two ports: [but you only use one]

• the INTERNET port for connecting to a LAN switch for network connectivity
  • the ETHERNET port for connecting a local administration computer [do not use this port]
    Cisco best practice is to not connect any device to the ETHERNET connection, else system performance may suffer.
    Please keep in mind that this is a very low cost VoIP device and should not be deployed as a router.

Summary:

Cable modem / router > LAN switch:

Connect the following to the LAN switch ports:

• SPA9000 [INTERNET port]
  • SPA400 [ETHERNET port]
  • SPA9xx phone [WAN port]
  • computers
  • SPA9x2 phone [WAN port]    > computer [phone's PC port]

couse i have the same issue with an SPA962 this one has the connection for a PC but cant make it work.

The SPA962 has two ports:

• the WAN port for connecting to a PoE switch port for power and network connectivity
  • The PC port for connecting a computer to the network through the phone
    Think of an office with only one network cable which is used by a computer.
  1. Disconnect the network cable from the computer and plug into the WAN port of the SPA962.
  2. Connect the PC port to the computer.
  3. Now the computer has network connectivity through the SPA962's 10/100 switch.
    Note: Additional configuration required if you are using VLANs, refer to the phone's admin guide: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2148

Regards,

Patrick

----------

25 Replies 25

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Sir;

Please see the response on the thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3093120#3093120

link was edited by: Cindy Toy

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

An orange LED on the phone indicates that the phone is not in contact with the proxy defined in Ext N > Proxy and Registration > Proxy:

From your description, it sounds like its a wireless configuration problem [when i connect the spa941 with the wbp54g to an 2wire router works fine]

Did you use the WBP54G wizard to configure the WBP54G?

If not, go back and use the WBP54G wizard to configure the WBP54G.

Did you ever get the phone to register when using the WBP54G?

If you did get the phone to register via the WBP54G, then perhaps you are now attempting to deploy beyond the range of the WRT54G.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick:

i use the wizard to to configure the wbp54g as it say, connect the the wbp54to the wrt54g and confiure it, and it works  couse i connect it to a pc and works but when i connect it to the spa9xx dont work.

the spa9xx i registered but when i connect it to the wbp54g the leds start flashing and suddenly stay orange.

i disconnect the spa9xx and connect again to the red with cable and works fine.

i try connected to the wbp54g reset to factory defaults, ip static and noting works, off course with the wrt54g but when i try with a 2wire router works fine!!!

when i make the tests i have both routers no more than 1 mt.

best regards.

Some thoughts and questions:

Please verify that you:

1. Plug the WBP54G's RJ45 into the phone's WAN port [not the PC port] :-)
  2. Power the WBP54G with a PA100 supply and then power the phone from the WBP54G? :-)
  3. Can use a wireless device, like a laptop, to successfully make contact with the SIP proxy defined on your phone.
  4. Can access the phone from a computer with: http:// when your phone is connected via the WBP54G
    [Press the phone's Setup button > 9 [write down IP address]]

I believe that the issue is on the wireless network.

Does the phone pick up an IP address from the DHCP server when it's wireless?

Could the wireless side of your network be firewalled/VPN from the network that has access to the SIP proxy?

This is really a very simple process, run the wizard on the WBP54G, move the WBP54G to the phone, connect power, and the phone is wireless. This solution works very well and I have it in daily use.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

the WBP54g is connected into the WAN in the telephone.

the SPA9000 assing an IP to the phone but i cant connect to the phone via web browser.

when i run the wizard of the SPA9000 can´t locate the SPA941.

there is not a firewall couse i ussualy don´t use the firewall and dont work using VPN.

"This is really a very simple process, run the wizard on the WBP54G, move the WBP54G to the phone, connect power, and the phone is wireless. This solution works very well and I have it in daily use"

i know and when i do the process with a wireless 2wire work´s fine, but the 2wire use to be into another network

i have another WBP54G connected to an SPA2102 to the WRTG54G and work´s fine and i have try with that WBP54G and i have the same problem.

Best regards.

Hi,

I believe that this is a basic networking issue, not a voice-related issue.

Something to consider is that the wired network and wireless network are probably two different networks.

"the SPA9000 assing an IP to the phone ..."

Can you use different words please? I don't understand what you mean by this.

"when i run the wizard of the SPA9000 can´t locate the SPA941."

Is the computer running the wizard, wired, or wireless?

I'm betting that the computer is running wired, please run in wireless mode and see if the wizard can locate the SPA9000 and the SPA941.

Questions:

1. What IP address does the SPA9000 have? [analog phone in FXS port, ****, 110#, and document the IP address]
  2. What is the SPA941 DHCP Enable status? [Setup button, 9, option 1]
  3. What IP address does the SPA941 have in a wired environment? [Setup button, 9, and document option 2, the IP address]
  4. Move the SPA941 to a wireless environment, what is it's IP address after booting? [Setup button, 9, and document the IP address]
  5. Using a wireless computer, what is the computer's IP address [c:\ipconfig /all]
  6. Using the wireless computer, ping the SPA9000's IP address, is the ping successful? Does the SPA9000 reply to the pings?
          [Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt >
           c:\ ping

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

i found the problem.

the SPA9000 and the SPA400 was connected to and SD208 and the SD208 was connected with an WBP54G.

so i connect the SPA9000 with an WBP54G and the SPA400 with another WBP54G and the SPA941 wit another WBP54G and works

but i have another problem i connect a pc to the LAN of the the SPA9000 and the internet dont work??

Best regards.

Great job troubleshooting. Thanks for letting me know that you have resolved the problem.

With respect to the new issue: but i have another problem i connect a pc to the LAN of the the SPA9000 and the internet dont work??

Please refer to page 50 of the Installation Guide which shows how to connect the devices together:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-1749

In summary, the SPA9000 Internet port is connected to the LAN switch. The SPA9000 Ethernet port is not used.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi,

Patrick thank you very much for your assistance.

but i have another question regarding the LAN connection of the SPA9000.

the LAN must still active, i mean i must be able to connect a pc tru there?

couse i have the same issue with an SPA962 this one has the connection for a PC but cant make it work.

Best regards

BTW: i really apprecciate your help.

Hi,

but i have another question regarding the LAN connection of the SPA9000. the LAN must still active, i mean i must be able to connect a pc tru there?

The SPA9000 has two ports: [but you only use one]

• the INTERNET port for connecting to a LAN switch for network connectivity
  • the ETHERNET port for connecting a local administration computer [do not use this port]
    Cisco best practice is to not connect any device to the ETHERNET connection, else system performance may suffer.
    Please keep in mind that this is a very low cost VoIP device and should not be deployed as a router.

Summary:

Cable modem / router > LAN switch:

Connect the following to the LAN switch ports:

• SPA9000 [INTERNET port]
  • SPA400 [ETHERNET port]
  • SPA9xx phone [WAN port]
  • computers
  • SPA9x2 phone [WAN port]    > computer [phone's PC port]

The SPA962 has two ports:

• the WAN port for connecting to a PoE switch port for power and network connectivity
  • The PC port for connecting a computer to the network through the phone
    Think of an office with only one network cable which is used by a computer.
  1. Disconnect the network cable from the computer and plug into the WAN port of the SPA962.
  2. Connect the PC port to the computer.
  3. Now the computer has network connectivity through the SPA962's 10/100 switch.
    Note: Additional configuration required if you are using VLANs, refer to the phone's admin guide: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2148

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Parick (again)

you tell me the SPA400 can be connected to the ETHERNET of the SPA9000??

about the SPA962 i connect the pc to the pc port and the pc network tell me that i have limited connection, i repair the connection but still the same i change the cable and same, cant make the PC work with the PC port of the SPA962.

Best regards.

Hi,

you tell me the SPA400 can be connected to the ETHERNET of the SPA9000??

No. I am trying to say:

The Internet connection is connected to the local router:

1. Connect to the local router, a LAN switch
  2. Connect to the LAN switch, the SPA9000, using the SPA9000's INTERNET port
  3. Connect to the LAN switch, the SPA400, using the SPA400's ETHERNET port
  4. Connect to the LAN switch, the SPA9xx phone, using the SPA9xx's WAN port
  5. Connect to the SPA9x2 phone, a computer, using the SPA9x2's PC port
  6. Connect to the LAN switch, any computers, using the computer's network card

about the SPA962 i connect the pc to the pc port and the pc network tell me that i have limited connection, i repair the connection but still the same i change the cable and same, cant make the PC work with the PC port of the SPA962.

The SPA9x2 phone has a simple 10/100 switch port in it.

You have a basic network problem that is not really related to VoIP, the phones, or the SPA9000

1. Verify that you have a working network cable.
  2. Verify that you have a working DHCP server on the network, else the computer will not acquire an IP address.
  3. Verify that the DHCP server is properly providing the correct gateway and DNS information.
  4. Connect your computer directly to the same switch that the phone is attached to.
    If it connects and can get an IP address, then you know that your DHCP server, your network cable, and your computer are working.
  5. Now connect your computer to the phone's PC port.
    Does it get an IP address?
  6. If it does, all is well and everything is working.
    If it does not get an IP address, then you probably have a VLAN deployed to separate voice and data traffic and you'll need to get your network administrator to help you configure the system.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

The SPA9x2 phone has a simple 10/100 switch port in it.

You have a basic network problem that is not really related to VoIP, the phones, or the SPA9000

1. Verify that you have a working network cable.
  2. Verify that you have a working DHCP server on the network, else the computer will not acquire an IP address.
  3. Verify that the DHCP server is properly providing the correct gateway and DNS information.
  4. Connect your computer directly to the same switch that the phone is attached to.
    If it connects and can get an IP address, then you know that your DHCP server, your network cable, and your computer are working.
  5. Now connect your computer to the phone's PC port.
    Does it get an IP address?
  6. If it does, all is well and everything is working.
    If it does not get an IP address, then you probably have a VLAN deployed to separate voice and data traffic and you'll need to get your network administrator to help you configure the system.

when i run the cmd/ipconfig in the pc i have this: (don´t work)

DNS:             nothing

IP:                 169.254.200.132

Mask:            255.255.0.0 (but in the phone has: 255.255.255.0)

Gateway:       nothing

when i connect the pc directly to the WRTG54G i have this: (working and with the same cable i use to connect to the phone)

DNS:             nothing

IP:                192.168.1.100

Mask:           255.255.255.0

Gateway:      192.168.1.1

now we dont have a VLAN, and the VLAN i deactivated in the WRTG54G (enable or disabled is the same problem)

Best regards.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. The 169.254.200.132 IP address means that the PC didn't get an IP address from the DHCP server for some reason.

What is connected to the WAN port of the phone, a CAT5 cable or the WBP54G?

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: