Views
Helpful
Replies

asa bandwidth monitoring and asdm autorefresh

ryancolson
Level 1
Level 1

I have two questions

First: If I have an ASA 5500(05 or 10), how can i view the bandwidth usage per internal IP? For example, lets say I have a T1 and for a whole day the inbound traffic pegs the link. I know the ASA can show me how much bandwidth is being used, but the top 10 sources/dest doesnt always even show internal addresses at all. I am willing to do this in the CLI as well, but I NEED to do this and should be a simple function for a firewall of this caliber.

Second: on the monitoring/VPN section on the ASDM, where the VPN sessions are listed. Is there a way to autorefresh that section, or is the only way to get an updated view of your current VPN sessions to click refresh?

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

The "interface graph" option on the monitoring ASDM homepage provides real-time monitoring of bandwidth usage for each interface on the security appliance. Bandwidth usage is displayed for incoming and outgoing communications. Users can view packet rates, counts, and errors; bit, byte, and collision counts; and more. I think only "Refresh button" is available on VPN statistics panel.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/asdm60/user/guide/mon_vpn.html#wp1040432

Can you view the bandwidth usage by inside IP?

stevekives
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bandwidth measurement per-IP

There doesn't seem to be a way to do this via the GUI unless it's hiding very well. I was hoping another poster would answer your question affirmatively.

Even in the CLI there aren't many options. You can explore "show local-host" and its parameters but this isn't a good solution since the connections are ephemeral. A test to show this is "show local-host " while you visit a website. You'll see the individual connections come and go with no cumulative byte-counts left behind.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: