cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Classic multihoming, ISP path selection using BGP and HSRP(internal)

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, can you help me clarify this conceptual questions regarding a perimeter network I am planning to test?

My goal is to make traffic flow thru "ISP1-RouterB" and then use "ISP2-RouterC" in case of problems on ISP1.

Your comments are appreciated. Please attachment for detailed explanation and question in red.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

HSRP can be used to provide a next-hop for a default route used by internal devices connected to the lan segment.

You should at least track the state of WAN interface, so that if the wan link fails the HSRP priority on RA is reduced and RB takes over as the new active HSRP.

More fine control can be implemented using object tracking.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_hsrp_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1054939

You can use object tracking to track the state of a BGP route to verify if the BGP session is down.

(this is just to avoid ICMP redirect)

An iBGP session between the two routers RA and RB completes the solution where local preference as you plan can provide path selection.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Great. So then I just do on RA 'neigh RB-IP remote-as #' and the same on RB establishing neighbor relationship with RA.

I will explore the tracking as well.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card