Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet/SSH into 7960G running SCCP

m.newbould
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a customer who is asking how to Telnet/SSH into his 7960 phones. This is not something I have done before (not really had a need to do it). I have done an extensive amount of searching and found a few related cases, but they are all related to SIP phones.

The customer is running CCM 4.0 and IP Phone version 6.0. Is it possible to access the phones this way, and if so how do we access them? Presently, when we are trying to connect (Telnet or SSH) we get no response from the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

7 Replies 7

To the best of my knowledge, Cisco phones do not run a telnet daemon. They do have a built-in web server, for status information and logging, but not for configuration. I don't think the phone can be accessed via Telnet/SSH and I don't know what the point of doing so would be.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

What you say sounds accurate to me, as I can find little evidence of this functionality on the web. I am aware of the web page, and I do use that.

However, there is an RS-232 port on the underside of these phones... What functions does this interface provide? can you configure the phone this way and if so, what is the cable spec?!?

Thanks for your help.

Mark.

I have never used the RS-232 port, but I beleive it was originally included to allow an additional device to connect to the phone, such as a TTY device for the deaf. However, I could be wrong.

Hi,

It is for the 7914. I realised that last night, after I had posted the 'stupid' question... Stupid question seeming as I installed one recently... Never mind, one of those days I guess!!

So is the general opinion that there is no method of SSH'ing into these phones? I have seen something on the forum which refers (indirectly) to this ability, but it was for SIP phone software.

Thanks for everyone's support on this.

Mark.

Hi all,

Actually you can do a telnet to a 7900 ip phone but it is only available for SIP firmware, you can change the dial rules, extensions appearance, etc. If you use skynny you will not be able to do a telnet by default, you have to enable it, just to let you know, don´t change anything on the SCCP through telnet because the system sopt the processing properly.

HTH

Regards

Nelson

Probably conference stations 793* are the exeption fro skinny - you can SSH or telnet to them)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: