cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft UC vs Cisco UC

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

I am looking for pros/cons of the Microsoft UC solution versus the Cisco UC solution. We are a Cisco and Microsoft shop and the CIO is in favor of integrating the Microsoft UC solution (elimination the Cisco UC) because we currently use their servers and he feels it offers a better presence solution compared to Cisco. How does Cisco compare in the presence realm (exchange, AD, sharepoint, federation )? What products/solutions work best and does anyone have experience comparing the two solutions?

7 Replies 7

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Have you had the opportunity to chat with your Cisco Account Manager? They are one source of this competitive and comparative information, and would be willing to share.

Regards,

Michael.

I am meeting with them, but was also hoping to get an unbiased opinion as well :-)

Understood :-) I tried to be careful to state that they are "one" source. Due diligence on your part obviously requires an open mind. That's how it should be.

We'd be interested in your findings at the conclusion of this process.

Regards,

Michael.

And, of course, they are completely unbiased and neutral. ;)

A good source, but you should probably talk to some Microsoft people also, unless you are just trying to justify a decision you have already made.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Nothing against Cisco, Microsoft has always been good at user friendly UI functionality and thats exactly what MOC does. Lot of customers i have deployed CUPC, arent so happy with some of its functionality. CUPC 7 is a lot more better than CUPC 1.x. (clients)

In the next few years i foresee a lot of MOC deployments happening with Presence server just being utilized to get presence information from Cisco Callmanager to OCS, unless Cisco does something about their flaky software.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Do you forsee the Cisco PBX solution integrated with all Microsoft UC or strictly a MS UC deployment. What does MS have to offer as a physical phone (last I check it was software based)?

It's interesting to see how this issue has evolved. It seems that nowadays Lync receives a lot of coverage and Jabber is seen as the underdog.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: