Views
Helpful
Replies

STP lab help

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just completed my CCNA course and want to practise STP. I have only 2 switches to I guess I need a 3rd. Currently I have a 3550 and a 2950, what would be a good 3rd cheap choice as I guess 3 is the minimum?

This way I can have 3 trunks working or Etherchannels and play with the STP.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A 2950 will be the cheapest I recommend. eBay is a good source for getting those.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

The cheapest is to keep your two bridges;-)

You can play around with vlan load balancing on trunks and channeling with the two switches you have.

Then, in PVST modes (PVST or Rapid-PVST), you can loop back access ports in different vlans together. If you want, you can see vlan X as a virtual bridge running STP. By connecting it to vlan Y, you create a connection between two bridges and so on. So by playing around with cross over cables, you can create quite a large network with a single bridge.

Regards,

Francois

This will save me some money.

So I could keep the Etherchannel/Trunk I have between the C2950 and C3550 and then on both create another VLAN and treat it as a new switch?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: