NetPro appreciation gifts

Unanswered Question
Mar 16th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Warning: This is not a serious conversation, so don't come with your official clothes! I am having a break after working almost non-stop 4 days in a row, and I wanted to joke about something I have been thinking for some time now.

I suppose many of you have received NetPro appreciation gifts from time to time when your stars change color. I am not a big star, so I do not have many such gifts. I wanted to comment on the shirt that says "Top NetPro Expert". This is a good quality shirt and I would have wore it, if only it didn't say all these words. I can wear a shirt that says just "NetPro", but I cannot wear a shirt that says either "Top" or "Expert" and certainly not both! This shirt still sits at the top of one of my libraries within the original bag, which is a pity.

Anyway, I hope the next present won't be a neon flashing sign that says "Top NetPro Expert" for me to put on my head! :-)

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/16/2009 - 18:31
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I haven't received one.

marikakis Tue, 03/17/2009 - 05:14
User Badges:

I suppose you meant you have not received the shirt and not the neon flashing sign. If you meant the sign, then that's good news! :-)

If I remember correctly it was after the previous Networkers in Orlando when I received the shirt. A person from cisco contacted me and was asking if I would attend the Orlando Networkers, so she could arrange the delivery of the NetPro gift at the Orlando premises. I live in Europe and have attended Networkers only in Europe. Nevertheless, she was kind enough to send me the shirt anyway. I suppose the purpose of the gift was to make easier for the NetPro regulars to recognize each other in the crowd.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 03/17/2009 - 13:44
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

That would've been a long time ago. In this current financial situation, I doubt if I'd be getting the same call. :)

Oh well, it would've been nifty to be walking around with a "Netpro" T-Shirt in Australia.

paolo bevilacqua Thu, 03/19/2009 - 13:51
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Oh, I could use a shirt right now. Since I'm traveling, all what I have is a bag full of wrinkled clothes.

I would like it without any sign but able to make me look 10kg less.

Leo Laohoo Thu, 03/19/2009 - 22:36
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Dan,

Can I get a "Top NetPro Expert" T-Shirt? Please? ;)

marikakis Wed, 03/25/2009 - 03:55
User Badges:

Thanks for coming here with wrinkled clothes :-)

The current economic crisis is not an argument for me. People and companies are over-reacting in this situation. Those who have money should put at least some back in the market or they won't be receiving any money in the future ;-p

Rob Huffman Fri, 03/27/2009 - 10:22
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hey Folks,

This is a pretty cool conversation! I'm with Paolo, I could always use a new shirt. Don't hold your breath Leo, I've never recieved a shirt either ;-)

I'm holding out now for a NetPro Coffee Mug.

Have a great weekend! Keep on Posting! The participation here by NetPro's like you three is what makes all of this worthwhile!

Cheers!

Rob

scottmac Fri, 03/27/2009 - 12:12
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

I dunno, I was soooooo disappointed.

After all, if they're gonna give you a car, even if it's only a Corvette, they should check so they can give you one in your preferred color ....

I mean, it doesn't even match my toolbag or anything.

(just kidding of course

I just bought another toolbag to match!!)

Cheers!

Scott

Leo Laohoo Fri, 03/27/2009 - 18:41
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Rob,

I'm sick and tired of wearing T-Shirts from Enterasys, Juniper, Foundry and Riverbed (oopsie! Name-Dropping Alert!) ... and I love using Cisco, *wink* *wink*. Now if they could just throw in a few "Netpro" T-shirts to boot. He he he ...

Wore my company's ID using a lanyard from Foundry and walked into a Cisco roadshow presentation. Every Cisco employee sized me up from head to foot and I went, "Why is everyone staring at me?"

My colleague elbowed me and hissed, "You ding-a-ling! They're looking at your lanyard."

marikakis Sun, 03/29/2009 - 08:20
User Badges:

I did not post for a while not because cisco has not given others the shirt yet (or I haven't heard about it), but because I am too busy with my master in a quite different field and context switching is expensive as most of you know. This does not mean that my "threat" will not come true if I don't see a movement from cisco in reasonable time.

paolo bevilacqua Wed, 04/08/2009 - 04:13
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

I'm back from a long trip with clean clothes, but still very wrinkled. I've been to Cisco HQs and got a full fix of Cisqueness and their cyclic up and downs. No shirts this time.

Did you knew that cisco will take away the free sodas and that among employees that is debated more than stock value ?

Did you knew if that if a Cisco person has a -X in the email (like Dan) that means he/she not a permanent employees hence with even more limited powers ?

Beside that, as the usual Maria throws too much good sense to be of use on a corporate forum. Hey now that I think about, I've been anywhere but I've not been to Greece yet ?!?

Timothy Albright Wed, 04/08/2009 - 08:24
User Badges:

All,

I recently took over the business ownership of Cisco's NetPro support community. Just want to be open about Dan's status at Cisco. Dan is a full time contractor to Cisco. This is not unusual at Cisco, and in no way impacts his responsibilities as the primary moderator of NetPro. Dan has worked on NetPro since it began more than nine years ago, and he remains a key asset to the community going forward. He reports to me and is completely empowered to manage and moderate the community.

-Tim Albright

Rob Huffman Wed, 04/08/2009 - 09:25
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hi Tim,

In my opinion, Dan is the essence of NetPro! Period! His wisdom and guidance have led these Forums to where they are today, which is second to none. A moderator with his kindness and gentle "leading" hand are invaluable. I truly hope that Cisco sees the great, great resource they have in Dan. Without his stewardship, NetPro would be sadly diminished to say the least.

ROCK-ON Dan! You are the Best!

Huff

scottmac Wed, 04/08/2009 - 10:44
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

I second Rob's comments!

I believe Dan is one of the reasons NetPro is as good as it is.

Thanks Dan!

Scott

Daniel Bruhn Wed, 04/08/2009 - 13:42
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Rob and Scott,

Many thanks for the kind words. It's not me, but members like the two of you who really make NetPro the success it is. I truly believe we are one of the most welcoming and encouraging technical support communities on the internet. That is what makes NetPro a great community to be a part of.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Collin Clark Thu, 04/09/2009 - 08:37
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Kudos to all the people who work on NetPro.

Jon Marshall Fri, 04/10/2009 - 15:59
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Bit late on this thread, as usual :-), but would also just like to echo Rob and Scott in saying i think Dan is a large part of what makes this forum tick.

Cisco have a a great resource in Dan and i hope he continues to manage and moderate the community for a long time yet.

Jon

marikakis Wed, 04/08/2009 - 05:17
User Badges:

I don't like "bonus" policies much because those are the first taken away when things go bad.

I sympathize with Dan, I am aware of his work here, which should be only a small part of what he does behind the scenes and I hope everything goes well for him.

p.s. Some ways of cutting down costs bring down company morale for no serious gains.

marikakis Wed, 04/08/2009 - 05:53
User Badges:

I can not know where this economic crisis is going to go. If we look back in history, which I have been reading lately with increased interest although my main interests are in technical areas, things do not seem very optimistic.

marikakis Wed, 04/08/2009 - 06:26
User Badges:

If anyone is interested for a tour of Crete we could arrange for you to stay at my house for free, since I have plenty of space among my piles of books :-)

paolo bevilacqua Wed, 04/08/2009 - 21:09
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

That is very nice of you Maria. I think that visiting Crete would be simply enchanting and hope to be able to see it at some time. Please be assured that there is still a lot of time to do things before the world is over.

Tim, thank you for introducing yourself. In no way I wanted to infer that Dan is doing less that a stellar job no matter what his employment status is. Now we know who to press for gifts :)

paolo bevilacqua Thu, 04/09/2009 - 10:32
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Maria, I believe that your outgoing personality and sensibility to the human matter will allow you to succeed in many fields beside this our, and I compliment you for that.

I will be very happy to participate in discussing any matter, but in some other venue, because I do not feel comfortable doing that here, call me too much ciscocentric if you want.

Enjoy your trip and forget all about networking for a while! I do that as often as I can and it does very good to me.

And trust me, I could eat your pastitsio without an end. But here again, there are "limiting factors" to consider...

Leo Laohoo Thu, 04/09/2009 - 23:34
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

To Maria, Tim, Dan, Rob, Paolo and the rest of NetPro regulars (and first timers), I would like to wish you a Happy Easter.

DISCLAIMER: Apologize if I offended anyone from different denomination or religion.

Leo Laohoo Sun, 05/31/2009 - 19:31
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Dan and/or Dave,

Just received a "Cisco's NetPro Award of Recognition".

Just want to say "thanks" (if you had something to do with it), however, may I request if I can get a replacement: Someone spelled my name wrong.

Thanks.

Daniel Bruhn Mon, 06/01/2009 - 03:32
User Badges:

Leo,

Please contact me using the feedback link in the right navigation, so we can get the correct information.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Leo Laohoo Mon, 06/01/2009 - 13:35
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks Dan.

Leo Laohoo Mon, 07/20/2009 - 17:29
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Rob,

CONGRATULATIONS on your new SILVER Star!

What pub do we all go to for celebrations?

Yahoooooooooooooo!

Rob Huffman Tue, 07/21/2009 - 05:15
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Leo,

Thanks so much buddy! It's people like you that keep me coming back to NetPro so often. I'll have a virtual pint (or two) with you this weekend my friend!

Cheers!

Huff

Leo Laohoo Mon, 07/27/2009 - 14:47
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hey Rob,

Also noticed that you are the FIRST and ONLY ONE to get this new badge.

Ain't it lonely to be #1.

He he he ...

Rob Huffman Tue, 07/28/2009 - 06:34
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Leo,

Hahahaha!!

That is very kind my friend, but it is only a sign of my longevity I'm sure!

Did you have a virtual pint on the weekend? I had a couple ;-)

Cheers!

Rob

Leo Laohoo Tue, 07/28/2009 - 14:29
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Rob,

Just had one Guiness stout. :)

Daniel Bruhn Thu, 07/30/2009 - 13:33
User Badges:

Collin,

Employees are excluded from the Top NetPro leader boards.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Jon Marshall Thu, 07/30/2009 - 13:34
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Oops, sorry Dan you posted while i was answering :-)

Jon Marshall Thu, 07/30/2009 - 13:34
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Collin

Cisco employees don't show up on the lists. I don't really agree with this. They do have access to internal docs we don't but a lot of them put in just as much effort as the rest of us.

They do however get some recognition on the Ask the Experts page -

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=Expert_Archive_discussion

Jon

Sushil Kumar Katre Thu, 07/30/2009 - 20:28
User Badges:

Hi,

I too completely agree with you Jon. Having access to documents is just one thing.

However you have to always put some extra effort to atleast search for correct documentation and explain the same.

Also most of the queries are not just about searching someting from the documentation. It requires a lot of experience and simulations/lab to troubleshoot issues.

I guess they should get the recognisation for putting effort to help others.

-> Sushil

Rob Huffman Fri, 07/31/2009 - 04:59
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Folks,

I totally agree that ALL members should be treated equally! After all we do refer to ourselves as a Community :)

The time, care, experience and research required to solve issues is universal. It really doesn't matter if you are a Cisco employee or not so why make the distinction?

Let's try to set this right, and welcome all members to these great Forums and accord them the same level of respect.

Cheers everyone!

Rob

Leo Laohoo Wed, 08/05/2009 - 21:53
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Dan,

You better create more badges/star because Rob's about to hit the top mark. He he he ...

Hey Rob,

I guess you'll hit the million points mark before I retire. :)

Danilo Dy Thu, 11/19/2009 - 20:06
User Badges:

Yes, the materials of shirts that vendors give as a gift is in high quality. However, I usually wear them at home because I don't like to wear shirts with writings of any kind and don't like to walk around town look like a free advertisement humanoid.

Even wearing shirt with just the name of the vendor printed on it, it can become a hassle. If you wear it on holidays/weekends and you bumped into some old friends, you may end up working on holidays/weekends. Hey (looking at shirt) you know "vendor name", I have a problem with one of their product, maybe you can help me with my problem. Even dodging it, your day is already ruined, he/she reminds you of your work. Spoils your holiday/weekend

I have this shirt from a vendor with a high glossy text that says "High Availability", my wife ask me what does it means. I told her its not what she think it is, end of discussion

Oh, and I didn't receive the netpro shirt yet

marikakis Fri, 11/20/2009 - 06:42
User Badges:

Five points to Dan (if I remember correctly medan is Dan, but can't confirm this with the new default settings of the site) for the 'High Availability' joke! LOL!

Regarding the shirt you haven't received yet, in this discussion I have put in action my best customer-style whinning skills for this to happen. When customers complain to me it always works, so it seems I need to explicitly work more on my own whinning skills to get better results in the future!

marikakis Wed, 03/25/2009 - 04:17
User Badges:

The NetPro volunteers are devoting their time and knowledge and help cisco dominate in the market. The more information you can find about a product, the more likely is for people to prefer to buy it and keep using it. So, I think the appreciation gifts should be sent to the volunteers (I already have one). If cisco cannot afford a shirt, I cannot afford to post in this forum anymore.

Actions

This Discussion