cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Yellow alarm error on WIC-1DSU-T1 with 1700 series router

chevalierm
Level 1
Level 1

I was asked to 'clean up' our wiring closet today and after moving network cables around, our Cisco 1700 series router and WIC-1DSU-T1 WAN interface card showed a yellow alarm and we now cannot get out of our network to the internet. Can anybody tell me if the router or card has failed or if I just screwed something up and need to somehow reset the router? Many thanks as I am now responsible for our connection loss and have no background in this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

It is a straight cable.

View solution in original post

If the xover doesnt work, try a straight through cable as previously suggested. It just depends on who the provider is whether they cross it for you at the SJ or not.

A straight through means make both ends look identical, same order of colors.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Router cards failure is extremely rare. Most likely you've disconnected something.

Thank you, what should I do at this point? All cables are connected, router has two cables connected and a power cord, one to the card and one to the router?

One cat5e cable goes to the firewall from the router and the outer cat5e cable goes into the router from the circuit on the wall?

The cable from router to circuit is not ethernet, it's a T1 cable in which pairing is different from ethernet.

I see, and I believe that the original cable was replaced with a shorter but standard cat5e patch cable. Can you please tell me if I can purchase a T1 cable or instructions on how to make one?

Thank you so much for your help!

1&2 -> 4&5 make one its easy...

I'm sorry but I don't understand what 1&2 -> 4&5 means? Is this something I can buy at CDW for instance? I have made patch cords before but not for a while. Thanks very much!

pins 1&2, 4&5 are paired. the others are not used.

So is this a straight thru cable or crossover? 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 4 to 4, & 5 to 5? Or 1 to 4, 2 to 5, 4 to 1 & 5 to 2? Thank you!

It is a straight cable.

If you are connecting the router to the smart jack (a box the local exchange carrier installs typically on the wall) you will need a T1 cross over cable. I'll get you a drawing...5 minutes

Thanks, rpfinneran, I am very appreciative of your help. A drawing is exactly what I need because I am connecting the router to the smart jack. I am waiting, thanks...

And here it is, sorry for the delay...

If the xover doesnt work, try a straight through cable as previously suggested. It just depends on who the provider is whether they cross it for you at the SJ or not.

A straight through means make both ends look identical, same order of colors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card