cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registering Phone with "standby" Call Manager

slongewa
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to force a phone to register with the "Standby" call manager? I can't think of a way, but I thought someone on the forum may have run into this before and know a method to make it happen.

Thanks!

Steve

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steve,

Please accept my apology if I have mis-understood your question here :)

But, you would normally control which CUCM a phone registers to via the Device Pool - Callmanager Group relationship. So if phone A is in Device Pool East Wing and the East Wing Callmanager Group specifies the Primary Callmanager as Sub 1, Secondary as Sub 2 and Tertiary as Sub 3 and you wanted to change this so that phone A was registered to Sub 2. You would just change the Primary,Secondary,Tertiary choices in the Callmanager Group (to Sub 2,Sub 3, Sub 1) and apply. Re-boot the phone and it should move to Sub 2.

This relationship of where a phone registers is built via the Callmanager Group and the Device Pool that the phones belong to.

You can specify where a phone registers by assigning it to a specific Device Pool this in turn will look at a Callmanager Group that lists a Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Callmanager server.

Here is some related info;

Cisco Unified CallManager groups and device pools represent logical groupings of devices that you can arrange in any way that you want. For ease of administration, make sure that all the devices in a group or pool share a common and easily identified characteristic, such as their physical location on the network.

You can also use Cisco Unified CallManager groups to establish redundancy (backup call processors) for the primary Cisco Unified CallManager in the group. A Cisco Unified CallManager group comprises an ordered list of up to three Cisco Unified CallManager servers. During normal operation, the first (primary) Cisco Unified CallManager in the group controls all device pools and devices that are assigned to that group. If the primary Cisco Unified CallManager in a group fails, control of the device pools and devices that are registered with the primary Cisco Unified CallManager transfers to the next Cisco Unified CallManager in the group list.

Cisco Unified CallManager Groups

A Cisco Unified CallManager group comprises a prioritized list of up to three Cisco Unified CallManagers. The first Cisco Unified CallManager in the list serves as the primary Cisco Unified CallManager for that group, and the other members of the group serve as secondary (backup) Cisco Unified CallManagers.

Cisco Unified CallManager groups associate with devices through device pools. Each device belongs to a device pool, and each device pool specifies the Cisco Unified CallManager group for all of its devices.

Cisco Unified CallManager Groups:

Call processing load balancing You can configure device pools and Cisco Unified CallManager groups to distribute the control of devices across multiple Cisco Unified CallManagers.

Hope this helps!

Rob

As usual a great answer. Thanks so much for your help!

Steve

david-lima
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Steve, just an idea, if you want to register your phone in your secondary CCM, may be you can try this:

You have a device pool with a CCM group in this order (I think): 1.SUB, 2.PUB

May be you can create another Device Pool with a CCM Group with this order: 1.PUB, 2.SUB and assign it to some IP Phones, by this way your IP Phones will be registered with your Primary CCM and the selected IP Phones will br registered with the Secondary CCM.

Hope this help

David

Hi Steve,

You are most welcome buddy! Glad to be of some small help here.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: