Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 as Repeater from LAP

neilmac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks.

I have a 1242 running 12.4(10b)JA, I would like it to operate as a repeater from a WLC with 4 AP's in LAP mode.

I am having problems getting it to work, as soon as I enable it as a repeater, I lose contact with it.

Is this configuratuion supported ?

I am using WPA2 personal encryption on the WLAN, the deployment guide scg12410b.pdf doesn't mention using encryption on the repeater, though I have tested both ways. I have reset the unit many times and followed the set up by the letter from command pronpt, but still no joy.

Can anybody please offer any advice.

Many thanks,

Neil Mac

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Neil,

I did read your other post and I must apologize if the answer didn't make sense (sorry about that:)

I am saying that your last statement is correct. You can only "repeat" from Autonomous or "Fat" AP's.

This line is key;

Note Repeater access points running Cisco IOS software cannot associate to parent access points that that do not run Cisco IOS software.

Understanding Repeater Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/s37hot.html#wp1034746

I wish this wasn't so!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Neil,

This configuration is not supported :(

Q. I have an existing wireless network (autonomous APs) with an access-point that is configured as a repeater. This network is to be migrated to a LWAPP wireless network. Can I use the LWAPP APs as repeaters?

A. LWAPP APs must join a controller, and they do not support a repeater mode since they all have to have some connectivity to the controller first. Cisco autonomous APs can be configured as repeaters, but due to the reduction in effective bandwidth available to end clients, repeaters are not the most highly recommended configuration. While any Cisco Aironet AP or LAP model can be used in either LWAPP or autonomous mode, in order to make that change, a software reimage is required. This is particularly complex when it goes from autonomous to LWAPP, so directly, no, an AIR-LAP1232AG-A-K9 does not natively support the repeater mode. It could be loaded with autonomous software and be made to support repeater mode, but that would involve a software change and a separate configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_item09186a00806a4da3.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks, Rob.

The AP's are 1242 AG.

The LWAPP's ARE connected to a controller, the one access point I have that I want to use as a repeater is NOT light, it's full featured. Basically, the wish is to have it so that we can plug it in where there is a weak signal and that it repeats from there (it's for a boat, so we want to be able to plug it in near users who may have a problem).

Are you saying that you can only repeat from "Fat" access points ?

Hi Neil,

I did read your other post and I must apologize if the answer didn't make sense (sorry about that:)

I am saying that your last statement is correct. You can only "repeat" from Autonomous or "Fat" AP's.

This line is key;

Note Repeater access points running Cisco IOS software cannot associate to parent access points that that do not run Cisco IOS software.

Understanding Repeater Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/s37hot.html#wp1034746

I wish this wasn't so!

Rob

Rob, thanks for that, I very much appreciate you taking time out to help me.

Is this 100% correct ? You are absolutely sure you can't repeat from LWAPP ?

I thought LWAPP did run IOS, just a thin version, I assumed that line:

"....cannot associate to parent access points that that do not run Cisco IOS software" meant to Non Cisco access points.

The documentation does seem to imply that it will work.

Rob, you have vastly better knowledge than I so please don't be offended by my questioning, I would feel a bit better if someone else could confirm or deny.

Many thanks,

Neil

Had a AP1252AG in non-root bridge mode that "accidentially" connected to a LAP1131AG. Didnt actually see if all wlans and ssids worked, but atleast it seemed ok. We have the infrastructure ssid configured on our WISM controller.

Hi IT,

I believe that would be considered a WGB (Workgroup Bridge)which is supported in the LWAPP infrastructure. I am still hoping (for Neil's sake) that I will be proven wrong in regards to the Repeater setup :)

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: