cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two 6506 switch advice

mikedurbin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone. I want to ask a question about two 6506 switches that I have. I want to be able to use them both in a redundant type fashion, and Im not sure how the two would need to be set up so that if one fails, the network does not go down because the other takes over. Does anyone have any advice on how to do something like that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

There are a number of ways to do this but the most common is probably

1) Connect the 2 6500 switches togther with a L2 trunk.

2) Use HSRP/GLBP to provide redundancy to end hosts so if one of the switches fails then the traffic is moved over to the other switch.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

There are a number of ways to do this but the most common is probably

1) Connect the 2 6500 switches togther with a L2 trunk.

2) Use HSRP/GLBP to provide redundancy to end hosts so if one of the switches fails then the traffic is moved over to the other switch.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon's right. Also, if your organization is very much interested, 6500/6500-E can now operate in Virtual Switch System (VSS) using the new supervisor engines.

It's like having the 2975/3750 stacking capabilities but alot more ...

Data Sheet: Cisco Catalyst 6500/720 Data Sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet09186a0080159856_ps9336_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Thank you for the information.

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: