cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smartports (aka Macros)

jeff.cook
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone use smartports? They look like a great idea. When I do searches for smartports all I find is people saying how to configure them, but no opinions as to it they use them or not. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this feature.

I have a network with 70 routers and switches.

Thank You

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First off, you can't use Smartports on routers. Secondly, enjoy Smartports while you can. In newer IOS, 12.2(50)SE, it's announced that Smartport will be deprecated to AutoSmartports. For the last two weeks I've been trying to get my near-bald head around AutoSmartports.

Smartports are very useful tool. It's even alot better if you use a uniform Smartport macro for the entire network so you know what keywords associate to which.

Now if Cisco can just find a method to auto-propagate Smartports Macro throughout the network quietly (like VLAN propagation using VTP) ...

I looked at the docs for Smartports in 12.2(50)SE and it shows the new autosmartports, and static smartports, but does not show the planned removal of static smartports.

Can you send a link to the doc about their removal?

Thank You

"Beginning with Cisco IOS Release 12.2(50)SE, the macro auto execute command replaces the macro name command. Though not visible in the command line, the macro name command is still active. The command will become obsolete in a future Cisco IOS software release."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp10911026

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card