Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2811 VG for GSM Termination

mikram
Level 4
Level 4

HI

I just want to know if anybody has used Cisco 28xx series router with E1 modules and PVDM2-64 for voice termination and pass it to GSM Channel bank via ISDN PRI E1.

I will be using it h323 voice gateway with voipswitch.

Is this reliable hardware as compared to AS5300 Series or it is better to go with AS5350 or AS54XX.

Initially, I will be terminating 2 E1s.

Many thanks.

Shahid

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Both device are fine for the job. The AS is a dedicated voice platform, the ISR a multipurpose router. The choice is up to you.

Thanks, what about the codec support and qualality of voice on 2811. You think PVDM2-62 X 2 is enough to support 2E1's and 120 voice channel on G.723 codec.

cheers

2 E1s is 60 channels, for that a PVDM2-64 is enough. 120 channels is 4 E1s, you would need a second VWIC and PVDM2 module for that.

You would want to go with the AS5400XM or the ISR. All other 5x00 platforms are going to run the legacy DSP hardware, Nextport DSPs. You will find much less support and features for these DSPs, and won't have as much feature support as something like that AS5400XM with the AS5X-FC card (PVDM2-64's).

And then, the only real difference between the 5400XM and ISR platform is horsepower. The support is a little bit different - 5400's don't support MGCP/media resources with CUCM, and a host of more specific corner cases that they do support. The VGD-1T3 is a good high-power box if you want to use it with CUCM, as it's based off the 5400 platform, and includes CUCM features like MGCP and transcoding/mtp/conferencing.

hth,

nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: