7970 Blinking lights, but that's all

Unanswered Question
Mar 17th, 2009

Greetings. I work out of a Help Desk that supports about 40 VOIPs. I've just found five bad 7970 phones on a shelf. (I think the goal was for them to heal themselves.) (But they never got the memo.)

What's odd is that all five phones have the same symptoms:

After plugging them in:

• Speaker light at bottom right goes green.

• Soon, top two buttons at upper right flash amber in sequence from top to bottom, then continue down in sequence, but change to green.

During above sequence, speaker light goes off and headset light turns green.

• Lights at right continue to flash in sequence from top to bottom, always green.

• The display never illuminates.

It seems unlikely that we have five phones afflicted by a similar manufacturing defect, so think the problem is caused by, and fixable through, software or configuration.

I've looked through all the forum posts going back to 2007, but found nothing.

Hope someone has some insight on this, and thanks for your interest.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 03/17/2009 - 20:53

No it's not fixable you want to sell the lot to me for $200 :)

Jokes apart, it'sfixable, connect the phones to a PC with TFTP32 installed, download the FW (any version) for 7970 from CCO and put in the TFTP32 directory. In TFTP32, set optiopn 150 to be same PC address.

As you run the SW you will see the phones DHCP, then FTFP for term70.default.loads etc ..

steve2009 Wed, 03/18/2009 - 19:22

P.b...

Many thanks! I knew it couldn't be a hardware issue.

Now I need to find someone who can decipher your instructions.

Will come back with feedback when I do.

Thanks again.

mhendren925 Fri, 03/20/2009 - 09:58

You also might want to try a factory reset of the phone. Unplug the phone, hold down the # key and plug it back in. When the lights on the line keys start to flash, release it. Then while the line lights are flashing key in: 123456789*0#

Let the phone go as it will go through the factory reset process and don't interrupt it until its done.

steve2009 Fri, 03/20/2009 - 16:08

Success.

mhendren925, what you describe was part of the solution. But it required our net admins to first set up a switch to run DHCP and TFTP (I think; this is above my pay grade) to allow the firmware to install.

Thanks again to all, especially PB for getting us on the right track.

Actions

This Discussion