cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA / Tacacs and Failed Attempts

soldnermichael
Level 1
Level 1

I had started this conversation in the "General" area (I think incorrectly) so I'm going to post it in here as well (just in case - appologies to the moderators).

In our aaa implementation we use tacacs with the local db as backup. Well, I'm trying to harden security. I know IOS has this nice little command:

“login on-failure log every x”

This would be great so we could at least see the syslog message and have an idea if someone is trying to get into a piece of our equipment without having to try and watch the "Failed Attemps" report in ACS - but given we are using Tacacs, the only way this will throw a message is if ACS isn't available.

I'd like to know if there is a way for ACS to give us this information. Or, to get syslog messages to get thrown.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

ACS 4.1 onwards has a syslog log target - so the failed attempts stuff can be sent in real time over syslog as well as saved to CSV.

The format is

For audit compliance may I suggest you take a look at extraxi aaa-reports. We can generate reports against log activity and ACS database policy. 60 day working trial available at www.extraxi.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: