cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Cycle 6509

aloisgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

I just changed the way I log into a 6500..creating a username and password and then enabling login local on all lines including the console!(Fortunately I dint save the config) Somehow I can no longer log into my switch and I want to power cycle the switch to undo the changes. The set up is not redundant and bringing down the switch would have undesirable consiquences.

Is there a way I can reload config with minimal disruption to teh organazation? If I where to reset the switch on average how long would it take to get back to normal running state? do I need to do anything 'special' before pulling out power supplies?

I am running one Supervisor engine in Slot 6, can I just pull it out and back in to reload config?

Help would be most appreciated, thanx.

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello George,

roughly 5 minutes are needed to perform a reload

I would go in this way.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you..do I just switch power off and then on?

Rgds

That would work but you should also have the console already connected so you can watch for any errors while the switch powers back up.

Hello George,

yes power off and then power on

a console connection can be a good idea ..

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Leo,

the original poster George is not able to access the device after having introduced local authentication so a power cycle is needed to rollback to last saved configuration.

Anyway, this warm reload feature looks like interesting.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card