Views
Helpful
Replies

Shaping a link

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I have a 20mb DS3 that's getting installed at a remote branch. We have a 20mb DS3 circuit here as well, and we don't want the remote branch being able to suck down all of our bandwidth.

I can shape the traffic on the outside interface for the remote branch, but if I shaped it from 20mb to 3mb, would that take a major hit on the routers cpu? It's a DR site, and the only time we want them to be able to use 20mb is if we had to go over there because of a DR situation. The router is a 3745, and there are about 100 users at this location.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

That should not impact the CPU that much to be honest.

HTH>

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

Shaping does incur extra CPU overhead but it is really quite minimal and if adding shaping to the router has a major impact on CPU then you probably need a better router anyway.

With what you have you should be fine.

Jon

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact type of circuit is that? If p-t-p DS3 you can use dsu commands to limit bandwidth.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As the others have noted, yes you could and CPU is (usually) minimal. (re: usually, I've noticed on the later 12.4T versions, the default Tc now appears to be 4ms and I've seen such a minimal value impact the CPU. [If it does, increasing Tc appears to reduce CPU impact.])

PS:

As an alternative, instead of always limiting the bandwidth to the remote site, you could also consider using something like CBWFQ with a 15% bandwidth setting. This should also provide 3 Mbps but will allow more if not otherwise being used.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card