cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Device Profile for 7960 compatible with 7970 IP phone?

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Several of our senior members of staff will be getting 7970 IP phones rolled out to them to replace their 7960 IP phones.

Ive tested a few swapouts alredy and they seem ok until i rolled out a 7970 to a user of a 7960 who has more tan 2 lines on the phone.

It seems that a Users Device Profile is tied to a 'device type' - in our case 7960s predominantly.

We use Ext Mobility and when i log a user with more than 2 lines onto a 7970 phone, they can only see the first 2 lines - additional lines get stripped off.

This seems to be because the standard 7970 phone template comes into play with the 7970 (2 lines only).

Is there an easy way to alter a users Device Profile to allow the use of a 7970 type phone with alternate button templates? I hoped i could just alter the device type on the profile, but it cannot be altered (it's not a selectable field). Or just select a 7970 Phone Button Template from the drop down menu - but it only lists 7960 templates due to the device type limitation. Do i have to create completely NEW Device Profiles for these users, then link them to their User Accounts...? That seems a little labour intensive :o(

Thanks

9 Replies 9

paul.alvarez
Level 4
Level 4

You can just modify the 7970 device profile in the DEFAULT DEVICE PROFILE menu to have more than 2 lines. Or you can add a new default device profile for 7970 if it doesn't exist there.

Thanks Paul. I looked at doing this, but that then means that managers who have 5 speed dials will lose out :o(

It is looking increasingly like i will need to crate new profiles for each manager (7970 based) and then link those to their User Accounts so when they login with Ext Mob they get to choose the old or new profile.

not if you configure a default device profile of 1 line + 5 speed dials, you can configure the features they will have to adjust to the other phone models, that's the beauty of this

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

javalenc - are you referring to altering the default profile for the 7970 IP phones?

At present it has a 2 line, 4 speed dial combo. With this, I am unable to alter a users existing 7960 Device Profile so that it displays more than 2 lines. We have Managers who use 1 line and lots of speed dials. We also have managers that dont use speed dials at all, but use 5+ lines.

At present their individual 7960 device profiles can be altered to choose the relevant 7960 button template. But i cannot do this once they move to a 7970 because their device profile is fixed to a 7960 and can therefore only 'see' 7960 based templates.

I've added a new 7970 device profile for myself, and can then alter the button template to 2, 4 or 6 lines etc. These lines then dispay when i login to the 7970 with my 7970 device profile. The 7960 profile does not display more than 2 lines.

I think im stuck here, because the diverse way our managers use the lines/speed dials means i have to be able to alter each device profile to allocate lines/speed dials. I cant do this by generically altering the 7970 default device profile can I?

mhendren925
Level 1
Level 1

You can go to "Device" then "Phone Button Template" and create a template for each combination for the 7970: 1L/7SD, 2L/6SD, 3L/5SD, etc... that way you have them no matter if they want 1 SD or 5.

Yep - i have those created, thanks. Trouble is you cant use a 7970 template on an existing 7960 Device Profile for a user :o( This is where i am having to create new 7970 profiles for users. I was hoping there was a workaround that would allow me to link a 7960 Device Profile to a 7970 template....i dont think there is though :o(

Im creating second Device Profiles for the managers, such as "asmith_7970" so these are selectable when they login to a phone.

In that case, I don't think there is a workaround. I had the same kind of issue when I had to swap some 7941 phones for 7961 phones. I had to delete their 7941 phone and create them on a 7961.

I think you are right :o( I've used the two-profile approach linked to the users Ext Mob login account. This works perfectly - but obviously means admin work for me, doh! :)

Just think of it as job security. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: