Helpful
Replies

Unity Voicemail / VMO Question

Googi1974
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts --Riddle me this!

My VP would like an explanation of the follwing scenario:

"Why I received voicemail from the same person and same phone number, but the subject shows up differently in exchange."

Message from an unidentified caller (81773991xxxx)

Message from 81773991xxxx

Thank you all in advance,

Kelly

6 Replies 6

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Has your system recently been upgraded in between the time the two messages were left? Default values for subject lines have changed in Cisco Unity 7.0(2).

It's also possible your Cisco Unity system administrator recently customized the subjects. For more information on customizing subjects, see the links below.

For Cisco Unity 4.2(1) or 5.0(1) see the following tech note:

VMO Message Default Subject Line Appearance

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00801a31ca.shtml

For Cisco Unity 7.0(2) see the topic "Subject Lines of Voice Messages Can Be Configured" in the Release Notes for Cisco Unity Release 7.0(2)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/release/notes/702curelnotes.html#wp69476

Thanks. Nope, nothing has changed, no upgrades and no customizations. How can the message be from an "unidentified caller" and then show the number (isn't that contradicting)?

What version of Cisco Unity are you running?

Could you attach a screen shot of each message?

I agree, the term "unidentified" does seem contradicting. Cisco Unity attempts to associate the Caller ID with a subscribers mailbox extension so that it can include the message senders name in the subject. If the Caller ID does not match a subscribers mailbox number then the callers name is "unidentified".

Customizing the subjects allows you to change the text that is included in the subjects.

Hi,

We're running Cisco Unity 4.0 Build 4.0(5).

Here's the screenshot. What I can't understand is why it's considered unidentified one day and then the next day it's not. The calls are from the same caller.

I suspect you have found a bug similar to the one below.

Perhaps you could try and reproduce the problem by calling in as an external caller and leaving a message for a subscriber mailbox, after recording the message try each of the following scenarios to send the message and end the call. I suspect one of these conditions might create the situation where "unidentified caller" is missing from the subject line.

1. Record the message and when finished [Hang up] immediately (before the after recording menu) to send the message.

2. Record the message and when finished recording, press [#] to terminate the recording, then [Hang up] during the after recording menu to send the message.

3. Record the message and when finished recording, press [#] to terminate the recording, then press [#] during the after recording menu to send the message.

No NAME for subscriber message subject line for some hang up conditions

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsd49822

Hi,

okay I figured out via CDR under which conditions this is happening and reproduced the scenario. Now I just need to understand the WHY. Here's what happens:

First msg was left when ext was CFA to voicemail.

2nd msg rang the ext, (which is a shared line), the admin with the shared line, picked it up and transferred call to vm using *7210.

This results in 2 different Final Called Party situations for the calls. The final called party number for the "unidentified" message is from the hunt pilot for voicemail (7999). In the other message the final called number is 1003 (a voice mail port).

So neither of these are subscribers so I wonder why 1 would be considered unidentified and not the other? Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, I just hate not understanding something.

Thx!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: