cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Power supplies

mjhagen
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading my 6509 chassis that currently run SupII with 1300W a/c power supplies with Sup720 and 2500W a/c power supplies. I did not notice the power plug for the 2500W supply required a 220v connection. Can I run these on 110V cords?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike,

Are you using 2500W or 3000W power supplies? Either way you should be fine.

Note: If you are going to use 110V to the power remember that they are running in combined mode. If one of the two power supplies fail or gets unplugged it will not be able to fully support the chassis and shut down some line cards.

Mark

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, you can run 110V to the power supplies. Problem is that since you are cutting the input in half, so will the output on the power supplies. In order for your SUP720's to work you may have to run the power supplies in combined mode. There may not be any redundancy with the power supplies.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Chassis_Installation/Cat6500/0apwsply.html#wp1026390

HTH,

Mark

I used Cisco's power calculator and looks like I would be fine.

The chassis would have:

2 - Sup720-3b

2 - WS-X6148A-RJ-45 line cards

2 - 300W P/S

Total Draw Combined WS-CAC-3000W 54%

I replied with the wrong amount of line cards this is what is installed

I used Cisco's power calculator and looks like I would be fine.

The chassis would have:

2 - Sup720-3b

5 - WS-X6148A-RJ-45 line cards

2 - 3000W P/S

Total Draw Combined WS-CAC-3000W 54%

Mike,

Are you using 2500W or 3000W power supplies? Either way you should be fine.

Note: If you are going to use 110V to the power remember that they are running in combined mode. If one of the two power supplies fail or gets unplugged it will not be able to fully support the chassis and shut down some line cards.

Mark

I am using the 3000W P/S.

Mark's post is valid, you will not have power supply redundancy with a combined power utilization of 54%. If you want redundancy, drop that number below 50% and create room for any extra cards you may put in.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card