Views
Helpful
Replies

interface stats

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi..

If we force the interface with 30 sec of interval instead of default 5 mins, will it be helpful for the traffic, it being more granular.Also, would it also help me in QOS as the packets would be tagged within 30 sec interval rather than long 5 mins.

Thanks !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unclear what you consider a "better drive".

No, nothing comes to mind where changing the interface's load interval would have any impact with QoS.

There are other timers that can change how QoS behaves. Policer or shaper Tc interval comes to mind. WRED decay values also depend on time (although unclear how its parameters relate to absolute "clock" times).

QoS often most impacted by queuing methology, queue depths, and how packets dropped, that don't depend on a timer.

What do you think your issue is, or what are you trying to accomplish?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nothing comes to mind where changing the load interval would affect traffic, especially with QoS.

Packet tagging is per packet; shouldn't be effected by load interval.

I meant..would changing it on the interface..have a better drive on the traffic flow.

Wrt QOS, the outputs indicate the offered rate as the interval that is set.so setting it lesser..wouldnt it help in more finer match and thus better allocations?

Thanks!

As what Joseph said, load interval is purely for statistic and troubleshooting purposes only ... and depending on traffic load, will also affect CPU utilization.

Unclear what you consider a "better drive".

No, nothing comes to mind where changing the interface's load interval would have any impact with QoS.

There are other timers that can change how QoS behaves. Policer or shaper Tc interval comes to mind. WRED decay values also depend on time (although unclear how its parameters relate to absolute "clock" times).

QoS often most impacted by queuing methology, queue depths, and how packets dropped, that don't depend on a timer.

What do you think your issue is, or what are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks!there is no issue as such. I was just trying to get clear of my doubts on whether loadinterval could have any impact on these values.

Thanks for your inputs...it got clearer for me!!!

No! It will not have a better drive on your traffic flow.

HTH

DAK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card