cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue With HWIC-1FE

robert.barton
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3825 routers that show this for the added cards. Each router has 2 cards.

WIC Slot 0:

Unknown WAN daughter card

WIC module not supported/disabled in this slot

Hardware Revision : 2.0

Top Assy. Part Number : 800-27737-02

Part Number : 73-10676-02

Board Revision : B0

Deviation Number : 0

Fab Version : 02

PCB Serial Number : FOC11253DNF

RMA Test History : 00

RMA Number : 0-0-0-0

RMA History : 00

Product (FRU) Number : HWIC-1FE

Version Identifier : V01

CLEI Code : COUIAFTCAA

Base MAC Address : 0019.5620.0066

According to what I've ready, they are compatible with the routers. I'm unsure if it could be a software issue tho...still trying to make heads or tails out of the software versions.

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3825-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(3g), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Thanks,

Bob

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I was unsure, but I had found that the web site recommended 12.4(15)T8. Never done an upgrade before, so this will be fun.

I have attached what the web site realated. Can you confirm that this is the right software for my routers?

I've never done an upgrade before, so this will be fun....

Bob

Yes T8 should be fairly safe.

Please refer to this document on how to upgrade your IOS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

HTH,

__

Edison.

"fairly safe"? What if I want safe?

Bob,

No IOS is completely safe. They all have bugs that may affect you. It all depends on what type of services/features you are using and if the use of those services/features can trigger the specific bug.

For a public release of bugs that affects T8, you can go to this tool:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

I generally recommend using Mainline code for routers but in your case, the support for that module is currently available only on the T train.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Oh...I understand danger of doing this...hence the butterflies. But there is difference between being as safe as possible and leading edge. You can forget bleeding edge too. Thanks. I'm checking memory and getting the software.

L8R

Bob

If it helps put your mind at ease, I deal with some production 2800s, 3800s and 7200s running 12.4(15)T# (including T8). Reason for this release, same as you, minimal IOS for the installed hardware (although not your module). I've only seen one issue on one particular 7200 router (haven't tried to determine whether it's a known issue) when changing the configuration. Haven't had a problem with normal production processing.

Do note, for the 12.4T, it may have a bigger flash/memory footprint. A few lines may change in config if you compare before and after 12.4T upgrade, but likely won't impact what you've configued the router to do.

[edit]

BTW, if you're unaware, I believe the 8 in T8 represents patch level for 12.4(15)T. I.e. hopefully just defect correction changes - should (in theory) improve the "safety" of running this software.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card