Cisco 851 Router

Unanswered Question
Mar 19th, 2009

I cant seem to console into a Cisco 851 router. I pull up hyperterminal and cannot get connection via console cable.

9600 baud

8 data bits

no parity

1 stop bits

no flow control

I do this all the time but cannot get any output from router. Everything is up and running but I just need to get into this router.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Thu, 03/19/2009 - 09:58

Hello Sparky,

you need to try with all possible speeds up to 115200 bps

There is a chance that the console speed has been changed.

Also check and verify the console cable with another device.

Hope to help

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 03/19/2009 - 10:41

Try another PC. I've seen 851s being picky about what and what not they like to use as console.

Bela Mareczky Thu, 03/19/2009 - 14:44

Try another console cable and hyperterminal software, check the COM port parameters. The Cisco standard console connection parameters are:

9600/ 8 N 1

I recommend PuTTY as a free and reliable alternative hyperterminal application.

An idea: I think You can check the successful boot of the C851 router: power on the router, wait some minutes and connect a PC to one of the switchport. Open Ethereal software and start a capture on the ethernet interface. You should see CDP packets sent out sourced from the router.

Hope this helps!

cisconoobie Tue, 03/24/2009 - 15:59

I tried all different baud rates and different settings. I'm using a Belkin usb to rollover cable adapter on my laptop. I have no problem conencting this to an asa but this 851 is just not responding.

I will try to cycle the power and see if I see anything different.

Is there any security setting that can prevent connectivity to the console port?

This Discussion