cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 851 Router

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I cant seem to console into a Cisco 851 router. I pull up hyperterminal and cannot get connection via console cable.

9600 baud

8 data bits

no parity

1 stop bits

no flow control

I do this all the time but cannot get any output from router. Everything is up and running but I just need to get into this router.

Anyone have any ideas?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sparky,

you need to try with all possible speeds up to 115200 bps

There is a chance that the console speed has been changed.

Also check and verify the console cable with another device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try another PC. I've seen 851s being picky about what and what not they like to use as console.

Bela Mareczky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Try another console cable and hyperterminal software, check the COM port parameters. The Cisco standard console connection parameters are:

9600/ 8 N 1

I recommend PuTTY as a free and reliable alternative hyperterminal application.

An idea: I think You can check the successful boot of the C851 router: power on the router, wait some minutes and connect a PC to one of the switchport. Open Ethereal software and start a capture on the ethernet interface. You should see CDP packets sent out sourced from the router.

Hope this helps!

BR

Belabacsi

I tried all different baud rates and different settings. I'm using a Belkin usb to rollover cable adapter on my laptop. I have no problem conencting this to an asa but this 851 is just not responding.

I will try to cycle the power and see if I see anything different.

Is there any security setting that can prevent connectivity to the console port?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card