cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Private vlan trunking

chris morris
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a checkpoint firewall, connected to an aggregation switch, and then a 2nd switch uplinked to the aggregation switch. The firewall acts as the layer 3 default gateway for all vlans, and there is a trunk carrying multiple vlans to the firewall, configured on the aggregation switch.

I would like to configure a private vlan on the 2nd switch, but my previous experience tells me I will have problems trunking the non-private (existing) vlans and the private vlans over the 2 uplinks to the firewall.

Can anyone provide some advice on whether this scenario would work with trunking?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Do you have the second switch in VTP transparent mode?

Hi - thanks for your response. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, this is not yet implemented, and it's not that I'm having problems, yet. When it's configured they will be in transparent mode yes, and the other standard pvlan config will be applied. My query is regarding trunking private vlans and standard vlans over the same link to a non cisco Layer 3 device and the implications around this.

Cheers

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: