Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS queries from ASA on behalf of client

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

Currently I have a Symantec Firewall (SF) and the Windows DNS server points to it as a forwarder. The SF has the root servers listed in it, and it does lookups for clients when the Windows box can't resolve. Does the ASA do anything like this?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

As far as i am aware the ASA will not forward DNS queries in this way. Obviously you can configure the ASA to allow DNS queries out and back in but that's not the same as your Symantec firewall.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

As far as i am aware the ASA will not forward DNS queries in this way. Obviously you can configure the ASA to allow DNS queries out and back in but that's not the same as your Symantec firewall.

Jon

Thanks Jon. :-)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The reason you can do this on either Symantec or Checkpoint firewall is because these devices/appliances also have bind installed Therefore, it is possible to have the firewall act as DNS forwarders.

That option is not available in ASA. Cisco ASA has limited features in those areas.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card